Monday, November 28, 2016

November just zoomed on by us

well, it is almost December.  The Holidays have started and before I know it will be time for Falco to leave us.   Let's see what we have been doing.   I took the boys to see "Fantastic Beasts and where to find them".  We all enjoyed it.  I think we are going to need to see it again to catch all the nuances, but it was a good movie for the family.

On the 21st, my sister's mother in law made us a wonderful dinner.  Falco was in heaven. Sausage, Sauer kraut, mashed potatoes and Spetzle. It was all good.  It reminded him of meals at home and reminded me, my mom, and my sister of meals we had when we were growing up.  Ahh, the German heritage (in our cases, not Falco's case).

Then on the 22nd, we went to the Cross Country banquet.  The team sits on one side of the room- this is Falco as we stood in line for the buffet, and parents sit on the other side of the room.   It was a good night, just long.  It also started our Thanksgiving weekend (on a Tuesday).  Falco was recognized for being on the team, that picture is below.

I also took the boys to the symphony to hear and see "Peter and the Wolf".  I think they liked it, I know I did.



the cake at the banquet.

Falco getting his award.  He will have a DVD of the season too.  He had a great time with these kids.  His coaches said they will miss him and wish he was going to be with them for the next 2 years.

Wednesday is always pie making day.  I started alone since the boys slept until 11 am!!!! But by the time I was working on the apple pie crust and preparing to start the pumpkin pie, they were both helping.

Rocket did the design on the pumpkin pie- mini pumpkins and owls.  I like it.  Falco liked the apple pie better, but Rocket and I like the pumpkin pie the best.
Normally we would go see the Zoo lights on Wednesday night, but it was raining.  So one tradition was scratched for this holiday and I am looking for a night to squeeze it in before the Christmas holiday hits and everyone else wants to go to the zoo.



Thanksgiving morning I had to get the boys to the tree lot for tree sale set up at 8:30 am.  The boys were not too happy about not sleeping in.  I keep telling them they can go back to bed when they get home, but I guess that is too much like being a little kid and needing a nap.    The boy scout troop they are with sells Christmas trees to offset the cost of the activities they do.  The tree sale covers all their cost except food costs for campouts, so everyone has to participate.  Since the boys were working in the morning, that meant I could focus making sure the house was ready for the family.  I picked the boys up at 11 and we picked up Mam.  At home we watched the end of the Macy's parade and then started the football marathon

this is the gang- from the right: Mam, my brother Dave, Uncle Darrell, Rocket, Falco, Jason, Jason's intended (they are waiting for the engagement) Sarah, and Auntie Lulu.  We ate later then we usually do since Sarah had Thanksgiving with her family in the early afternoon.  She just bought a house and we are supposed to have Thanksgiving with her next year or maybe it is Christmas???  I forget, but she and Jason will remind me.  They are such a cute couple.
 
 
The day after Thanksgiving, we took Falco "Black Friday" shopping.  Since most of the stores open on Thanksgiving evening, there were no lines of people wrapped around the buildings, but Rocket was the first in the building.  We shopped for less than an hour and then came home to rest.  So we got up at 5 am (UGHHHH) and then we came home by 7 am.  The boys had to be back the tree lot by 9 am to unload the trees and set them up.  They were done by 11 am and we just lounged around the house for the rest of the day.  We did watch a movie, but we did nothing more exciting than that. EXCEPT- we put up the outside lights and write Christmas cards (more on that below)
 
Saturday, the boys got to sleep in again- again until almost 11 am.  We had a light lunch and then started watching the OSU (Ohio State University) vs Michigan football game.  this is THE rivalry of the year.  I was rooting for Michigan, Falco took OSU and then Rocket changed between the 2 teams.  We had to leave before the game was over to go work the tree sale from 2-6 pm.  Half the parents there were cheering for OSU and half were cheering for Michigan.  We ended up tuning the radio to the game and it was an intense game.  OSU won- dang it all. But we had a good time.
Our shift ended at 6 pm and I bought our tree.  Rocket stayed to work (AKA hang out) with one his friends and Falco and I took the tree home to get it set up.  Falco is a great help. Rocket got home about 9 pm and he was exhausted

 
Chilling with the snowmen and Nativity


Me and my silly, handsome, awesome boys

Rocket using the saw to trim trees.

Our first set of Christmas cards. I still have to get cards out to my coworkers.

Me at the tree sale.

No comments:

Post a Comment