Sunday, October 26, 2014

Hocking Hills with other families who have exchange students

We had a  weekend away with some other families who have exchange students. This was just what we needed.  The weekend was based in Hocking Hills, which is about 2.5 hours from us if traffic is good.  it was not good and it took us 3 hours to get there and that was with no stops.  There was no cell phone service where we were, thus no internet.  This is the look down the property from the deck.

This is the best picture of a lady bug that I could get, they were everywhere.  I should have packed some up to bring back home as they are good for the garden.  Pablo did not get to go with us, he stayed with Uncle Darrell and Auntie Lulu and was very sad.

We arrived on Friday night and after dinner and some hanging out in the hot tub and some sleep, we woke up Saturday.  Bug was so excited to go horse back He was excited to go horseback riding.  All he wanted  to know was if he would get a real horse, not a mule.  The guys brought out this cute little pony, Mollie and Bug was so happy to step on the step and get on the pony.  No lead line, no one riding with him, he was in control.


and very happy.


BB got to ride too.  He was riding Tony.


I am riding Willow

My boys are so excited to go riding.  We were in the first 4 horses in the line of 10.

Heading out of the farm toward the hills


I am so excited

moving up the hill.  Jericho, the horse behind me, moved ahead.  Willow kept trying to walk me into trees- she hugs the edges.

one of the natural caves on the way up the mountain side

into the defile- an opening between 2 walls of rock.


 the walls are left from when this area was covered by an ocean- back before the dinosaurs. in the rocks are shells from the creatures that lived in the Oridivian Ocean


I love the mossy green on the rocks from the moisture in this area.

at the top of the mountainside, we got off the horses for 25 minutes to look around.  Behind BB is Table Rock.  It is so cool looking.  The hard stone is left as the sandstone layers are worn away by erosion (wind or water).

Another view

looking down the cliff

another view down the cliff
 



We walked down and looked at the bottom of the table rock.  Bug was scared to walk thru a narrow passage, so I had to go back before reaching the bottom.  He needed me and I was there for him.  I think he was scared for me.




Me and the rocks

heading back down the mountainside

one more look at the rock


after getting back to the farm, driving back to the cabin and having lunch, we all headed out to hike Ash Cave.





this is the bowl.  in the Spring, there is a waterfall that comes down the face.


the exchange student girls

Happy Bug

BB found a rock to climb

and then the girls climbed up too.  Bug refused


I did not climb up, but Bug took my picture


Bug and BB checking out the base of the waterfall- it was more like a shower.  In the Spring, they would both be underwater.

looking back down into Ash Cave was we started on our hike


my boys


we circled back and this is me at the top of the stairs going back to the base of the cave.



Saturday night, we had some s'mores around 10:30 (dinner was even later)

Bug was happy to set his marshmallows on fire before putting them on some graham crackers and chocolate

Sunday morning, I got up before the boys and went outside and got to see this deer in the field next to us.

very foggy outside this morning.


looking down the hill

after packing up and eating breakfast, I made the boys come outside for some morning pictures.  They were not pleased



cute family picture

the best we can do on an early Sunday morning


My precious boy

before we left, Bug worked on his weekly art sketch for school

We took a picture of exchange students (and Bug) on the balcony.  Yes, my boys were the only boys in the group.

on the way home, we stopped at pumpkin patch about 10 miles from where we stayed.   The kids enjoyed the corn maze (labyrinth in the corn)


and the hayride.  this is what I look like after about 14 hours sleep for the weekend  and facing 2.5 hours drive home.
 
We made it home, I tried to rest, but I think bed time is coming early tonight.
 
Love and hugs,
Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment