Wednesday, July 06, 2016

a work from the heart- becuase my boy wants it.

yesterday, we received a box from a "cyber" friend who just got back from Guatemala.  I had sent her some money to buy me some fabric scraps for a project that Rocket and I had discussed over the last few months.  The project, it is all about Guatemala.  So let me show you what steps I took.
 
First, I had to find a good map on the internet of Guatemala- specifically the departments (states).  I found this one and printed it out.

After work today, I took the map above to STAPLES and had them enlarge it by 200%.  They had to print it on the blueprint printer and in black and white, but it was perfect.  I took the maps home and traced around the department outlines on the front side.
Then I flipped the large map over and traced the department outlines in reverse.  This is the side I worked with for the rest of the evening.

Then using this fabric stabilizer/interfacing/fusible webbing, I cut a piece large enough to cover the map, taped it down and traced the department outlines again.  Then I cut out the departments.  I then sorted through the fabric scraps to find a good selection. In the case of department 5 (Peten), it took 2 scraps of fabric.  Luckily, there were pieces that fit together perfectly.



I ironed the fusible webbing to the back of the fabric and cut out the shape. 

Then, I took the paper backing off the webbing and flipped the fabric over and ironed it to the backing fabric that Rocket picked out last night. 
 
See- this is Peten, the 2 pieces lined up perfectly.


Then I stitched around the outside of the map of Guatemala, working with 3 pieces at a time.  I messed up the one section and I had to rip out the stitches and try it again. 
I have the outside done, though the right edge did not meet up.  I think I know how to make it work, but I also know how to fix it if I make another map.

 
tomorrow evening, I will finish the departments in the inside, stitch around all the inner borders and get the quilt map sandwiched.  I plan to quilt the blue like water and then the whole quilt will be a wall hanging for the boy.  I ma hoping he will let it hang out in the living room, but I have a feeling he will want it in his room.
 
I still have lots of fabric left over, I am considering making some Christmas ornaments for our tree or for gifts to others for Christmas.
 
I can't wait to share the finished project.
 
Love and hugs,
Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment