Thursday, July 06, 2017

vacation pics

We are back from our week of boy scout camping.  It was great.  We survived and enjoyed ourselves.  The pictures are limited, but I am going to try to upload a ton more over the weekend.
The boys, after church on Sunday, before we headed out.  Our first stop was the Air force Museum which is about an hour away from us.  We got to look at planes, rockets and space shuttles.  We had lunch there and then were back on the road. 
Second stop was Brighton, MI.  We stayed at a group camp site near a lake.  My tent mate and I learned how to set up an 8 person tent and we learned that adults eat first on the boy scout trips!!  The worst part was the bathrooms- pit toilets- YUCK!!
I found out that Rocket is the troop chaplain- so he leads all the prayers at meal time and before bed- though he can ask others to lead prayers too.  I was so proud of him



Day 2 we drove to Sleeping Bear Dunes.  This is our campsite.  My tent is the red and black one in the middle.  It was nice to have a huge tent to sleep in.  My tent mate and I learned that being closer together is better for keeping warm- it was cold and windy here.

This is the main dune behind our tent.  About 400 feet.  The boys hiked up to the sandy area and then over the top to see the lake.  The hike was too steep for me, so I walked a 1/2 mile to the left and found another way up. 



My view at the top- in the very back, you can see the lake.  I could have hiked out some more, but it was getting late.  I was just happy to have climbed up the dune to see the lake.  Definitely worth the work/exercise to get up the dune.

This is the view from the dune overlook- I was here on Thursday while the boys and leaders were camping on North Manitou island. 

The boys getting ready to go to the island.  I was with them until about 10 minutes before they loaded onto the boat.  Then I drove 45 minutes to the cabin I was staying at Wednesday night through Friday morning.  The weather forecast for Wednesday night was RAIN, RAIN and more RAIN.   I was really worried about the boys.

Thursday, I had lunch on the beach- I sent this picture to my work colleague.  I don't think she appreciated me too much.  At this point, my BFF, E and her youngest daughter C were with me.  C and I had a wonderful time walking on the beach finding rocks.  I have the rocks sitting on my shelf in my office now.

Friday morning, I drove back to the dock to pick up the boys (I was one of the drives in our caravan).  So excited to see the boys come off the boat. 

Another view of the dune and the lake from Thursday.  I could stay here all day- so long as the sun was shining.

Lake on Friday.

Beach on Thursday- where we ate lunch.

The dune from the beach for lunch

Thursday night, we went to the drive in movie.  I had a new blanket to keep me warm

Rocket on Friday night at the beach near our campsite. He is showing me that he got in the water and got wet- he had taken off his shoes and socks to get in the lake.

Rocket and his buddy E getting off the boat.

Once the boys got off the boat, we drove 1.5 hours south to another beach for our camp that night.  We passed right by the cabin I stayed while they were on the island!  The boys reported that the island was fine, except for the "teeth with wings" AKA black flies.  Those things BITE and they hurt a lot. 

Saturday morning, we got up early and headed home- 9 hours of driving.  I was exhausted, the boys were exhausted, my co pilot was exhausted.  Of course, exhausted boys meant 2 hours of them sleeping in the car and then they were wide awake and talking/being loud for the rest of the trip.

We got home around 7 pm on Saturday evening.  Rocket slept 12 hours Saturday night and Sunday night.  I slept 10 hours each night.  Thankfully we were going into the 4th of July holiday (Tuesday) and I took vacation on Monday.  I don't think I could have worked at all on Monday.


Boy scout tradition (Roses, buds, thorns AKA what was good, what are you looking forward too, and what didn't you like)
Roses: seeing the dunes, being with Rocket
Buds: I want to go back and camp here some more
thorns: all the driving- I think I need to be a passenger next time

More pictures to come from the trip.

Love and hugs,
Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment