Wednesday, August 01, 2018

Countdown to the boy's birthday and the start of school has begun

It's August and the countdowns begin. The first to the boy's 13th!!!!!!!!!! birthday and then to the first day of school for this year!!!!   I think I am little more excited for the second one- the kids are driving me crazy.  They have a list of things to do before they can have electronics or watch TV, this list should take them 2 hours max- it includes some school work to keep their skills, reading, chores, creativity (crafts), music and playing outside or playing a board game.  you would think I was torturing them and making them do things for hours.  School work is 4 pages (1 page is the front or the back of a page).  OMG the drama over it is wearing me down every day.  Sis can not do math to save her life and then plays dumb when she has to do grammar stuff.  I spend my lunch time showing her the steps to do the math.  She is really living proof that kids can not learn when they are worried about their next meal, their personal safety or whether their parent is going to be alive when they get home from school.
 
Rocket is showing immense maturity this summer- he does his work and only complains about the chores (every chore with the exception of grass cutting can be done in under 10 minutes). Sis got her cast off today, so she is going to be learning grass cutting.  this should be an adventure.
 
Some pictures from the last week.
Rocket showing that he is now strong enough to lift the 1st grader from next door onto his shoulders.

Sis on a walk in the park with Pablo.  There is a story here- the kids were up and down the stairs to my office all day long, they were "bored".  As I am finishing up my work, the neighbors next door invited them to swim, but that meant I would have to stay home and not do the errands I had planned and I nixed the swimming (oh the drama started up again).  One of the errands was getting them both out of the house because they had been inside all day.  they ended up enjoying the walk and learned a lesson- that if you bug mom while she is working over trivial stuff she is not going to let you do the fun stuff you final find to do.  We ended the night with grocery shopping.

climbing the tree at the park.  they were both happy.



Saturday night, we had movie night with a friend out at the drive-in movie theater.  We had a great time.  Definitely on our to-do list for August and September.

Last night, we went to Tortilleria Gracia for taco Tuesday.  $1 tacos and some refried beans, chips and guacamole and we were set.  Adult conversation for me and life was looking much better.

the gang: Stuart (friend from college), sis, E (Rocket's buddy from school), Rocket, and Lisa (another friend from college).

Me in the picture too.  Such a good night.
 
So 15 days until I really have a teenager, not just a kid that thinks he is teenager and 23 days until school starts.  I am totally counting days until school starts.  I will so enjoy having the house to myself for 7 hours- blessed silence and no one following me around all day seeing what I am doing when I leave my office.  No more crafts all over the dinning room and then being told it was cleaned up when I can see it all still sitting there.  No more arguments over the electronics.  Which is all false, because now the arguments will be condensed into the hours after school when homework should be done and there are evening activities.  but, I am not going to think about that now, I am going to live in the promise of blessed silence for 7 hours when they head back to school.
 
Love and hugs,
Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment