Tuesday, March 08, 2016

More of the bathroom remodel and Spring has Sprung

Little Man and I tried to take out the tile on Sunday, but we were stopped by CEMENT BOARD.  Mesh on both sides and concrete poured between- evil stuff, very evil. We could break the tiles, but could not break the board. My muscles really did not appreciate trying to break the cement board.



On Monday, the workers showed up and I had to put Pablo's harness on him.  He usually does not move once the harness is on him and he does not bark as much either.  Don't you feel sorry for our poor little Pablo???

This is Chris, the carpenter, taking out the shower.  He and Alex worked for about 90 minutes breaking up the tile and ripping out the cement board.  it was very loud.  I had to be on mute while they were working during my conference calls on Monday morning. 

After ripping out the tile, they had to break up the shower pan.  If I thought taking out the tile was loud, this was unbelievably noisy.  My head hurt from all the noisy.  I finally had to drop off my work conference call at one point.

We discovered some interesting things under the shower.  1. the smaller hole had been there all along. It was not the source of the leak, but it was interesting.  The larger hole was created when the drain cover was removed.
 
2. was the electrical outlet that had the back cut off.  Had the tile over the outlet failed, the shower could have been electrified. You can see it 2 pictures down from here.

Today, the workers were back and they installed the plumbing for the new shower controls and the shower head.

See that hole on the wall with the wire to it?  that is the electrical outlet in the kitchen.  You should not be able to see the light from the kitchen through it.  You can because there is no back on the electrical box and because I took the outlet cover off in the kitchen to replace the electrical box.  I did not complete it because I shocked myself- yes, I tried to replace the outlet with the electricity still on, I have done it before.  But in this case, in order to hold the outlet to take the screws out, I had to touch the outlet and I paid for it.

Tony and Chris working this morning.  Chris is putting up the board where the shower head will be installed.  there was on there originally, but it was damaged when they took out the tile and cement board yesterday.

Final picture of the day- the shower base is installed.  this has to sit for 24 hours before they can do anything else.  The workers will be back on Thursday to finish up.  On Wednesday afternoon/evening, I will replace the outlet box, we figured out which circuit breaker turns off the electricity for this outlet (and 4 other rooms in the house)

Saturday, we had dinner with friends- some yummy Lebanese food.  Chicken, tabouli and humus.

Monday, Little man, Pablo and I took a walk at the local park.  the daffodils, crocus and tulips are all coming up.  YEAHHHHHH



Little Man on his scooter. 


 
As we walked the park, I found the creek that Yutaro used to go to with a friend. 
 
Well that is all for today.
 
Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment