Monday, September 05, 2016

Catching up leading into the holiday weekend

I took my camera to the fireworks last night and found pictures I had not posted yet.   I took rocket to a concert in early Aug- the Kidz Bop concert.  this is the group of kids that sing the current popular songs, but with the words cleaned up.  Rocket and I like them because he learns all the songs and I don't have to worry about the lyrics being inappropriate for him to sing out loud.  It was a awful humid day and the concert was in the pavilion, where it like an oven.   We were up at this level, but I noticed during the concert that the lower level was fair empty on the sides.  At intermission, I asked one of the event staff if we could move to an open section and he allowed us to move.  it was so much cooler. 




 


 Another soccer practice, another hot, humid day.  UGHHHHHHH. Rocket is in the orange shirt with the blue socks.




Last Saturday, after Rocket's soccer game (see pictures below), I took the kids to see the kick off weekend for high school football.  The games were being played down at the University.  The day was 100F (40 C) and so humid, it was awful for us in the stands, I can't imagine how it was for the football players.  Falco's team is in white and the rest of the fans for his school are in the stands you see- sitting in the hot, blazing sun.  We sat with the visiting team's fans, in the shade.


The concourse behind us channeled the wind, so we had a good breeze.
The negative of this day was that I left my wallet in the car, so I had to walk back to the car at the start of 2nd quarter.  By the time I got to the stadium, it was half time and the rain was coming.  The wind picked up and we watched the dark clouds start to move in.

 Half time was just ending as the lightening started.  That means the game is delayed for at least 30 minutes.  The rain came down in sheets.  the folks on the other side had to scramble to get to shelter while we were covered.

The rain kept up for another 30 minutes.  As the teams were coming back out on the field and stretching, lightening started again!  at that point the game was delayed until 4 pm and I told the kids I was too hot and tired to stay.  they agreed and walked back to the car in the gentle rain.


Monday night after Falco gave his talk to the younger scouts, I took the kids to get ice cream.  I had some happy kids.



Sunday morning breakfast before church- at McDonald's

 
Sunday, the Sunday before Labor day, is the end of summer firworks bash.  I have not been in about 15 years, but with 2 teens and a preteen, I figured we could do it.  My friend Lisa came along too.  One decision was where to see we could sit.  Lisa usually sits on the wall, but it is so packed with people in that area, there was no way I was taking the kids in that area.  So I did some checking and we ended up at Smale Park
 
 
We had no problem finding a spot in the shade, near the water

The green space was totally open.  the packed area is ahead of us




My favorite bridge

Falco and I took a walk across the bridge- these are the boats lining up to watch the fireworks

see the blue under the trees- that is our spot.  Rocket is waving at me.  Across the river is the hill by the Aquarium and that is the hill I sat on 15 years ago-never again.


The bridge.  this is the prototype for the Brooklyn bridge.  I think I have posted the history of the bridge, but if I have not, I will post another time.




my teen model
 


Looking back at the packed area on the Ohio side of the river- Lisa usually sits in there. This is about 3 pm in the afternoon.

Looking toward Ohio




around 8 pm, Lisa and I left the kids for the final bathroom run, when we got back, this is how Falco looked.  He had given some of our water to a grandma who needed some water for her kids), the lady gave him 2 dollars and it inspired this look

and this look

and this look

 
 
The fireworks started at 9:05 and were great.
 
A seperate post with more fireworks coming next (the rest of the rest of the pictures are on my phone)
 
 
 
 
 
Last Saturday, 27Aug, Rocket had his first soccer game.  Yet again, temperatures were 90 F (like 35-40C)at the start of the game at 9 am.  We took Pablo and an unbrella to stay cool.  Pablo ended up using the umbrella when I would not keep walking him around the park
 

Mam came to watch

Falco came too
 

Those boys were hot out there.  The ref decided to shorten the quarters and give them longer between quarters to allow them time to recover.  Rocket's team won 7-1, with the other team needing some players from our team to use as subs. (when is that going to end).

Rocket was his usual defender position.


 
In the last quarter there was a lot of walking by both teams.  it was brutal.
 
So now we are caught up, except the additional firework pictures.
 
Love and hugs,
Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment