Monday, October 24, 2016

Fall adventure up north

Friday morning dawned wet and cold.  We had been planning a trip north for the last few months.  Rocket was off school and I took Falco out of school since it was the beginning of a new quarter (marking period) for him.  The plan was to drive up to Lake Erie, see Marblehead light house and then head over to El's house in Michigan.  The drive north started in the dark since I had the boys out the door by 6:30 am.  Thankfully Falco forgot his charger and we had to turn around while we were still in our neighborhood as the garage door was not shut.
Once we got on the road, Falco provided the play list of music- it was great.  We headed Northeast, then north up the back roads.  Falco got to quintessential small town America as we travelled the older roads north instead of the highways.  Both boys decided it was pretty boring after about 4 hours- there is only so much flat farm land you can see. Good thing we were close to the lake by that time.
 
We got into Marblehead and found out the lighthouse was closed for the season.  But that did not stop our adventure.

The wind coming off the lake was cold and strong.  You really had to brace yourself to prevent being blown over. I was ill prepared with just my sweater.  the boys were better prepared.  I really need to start listening to what I tell the boys to pack or do, because I have it right for them.



There was an area to walk out toward the lake on the rocks.  Falco was the brave one, though if I had the right shoes I would have done it.



I liked how the tree was just growing out of the rock at the edge of the lake.  I imagine this tree looks pretty cold in the winter.

there is an island across the water there.

About to race back toward me as the waves came over the rock. 

me and the boys at the lake


Falco decided to head to the edge.



I climbed on the rocks- it was like standing in full force wind tunnel.  My hands are freezing and I am trying not to be blown over.
 

 
from here, we could see Cedar Point (amusement park) to the left of me- just across the water.

The lighthouse keeper's house. 

I think we are coming back in the warmer weather.  there is a tour of the great lakes we can drive and see scenic areas along the lakes.  I think this could be a great summer adventure.



We had another 2 hour drive into the Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti area.  Since El and her family would not be home until close to dinner time, I took the boys over to see my old house.  This is my first house.  My garden is still there, but they have had the siding on the house replaced and the windows replaced (they needed to be replaced when I lived there).  Also, the porch is gone- just the stoop remains.  Interestingly enough, the gutters were not replaced.  They definitely needed to be replaced when I lived there.  But I know how it is for a homeowner, sometimes you what needs to be done as it fails.
It was cool to see everything around my old neighborhood.  there are lots of changes and they all look to be good changes.

We got to El's house about 30 minutes before they got home.  the boys spent that time being siblings.  this is the game of "horsey".  Falc enjoyed it, but Rocket was not too excited about it.



Saturday we had a plan of going to an apple orchard to pick apples, then take some pictures of the kids.  But, the apple orchard had no apples to buy or to pick.  BOOOOOO. 
So we headed off to take pictures. 
I love this picture of El with her girls.

My boys.  The plan was for us all to be in jeans and plaid shirts, but I must have set my shirt down and then picked up a smaller size because Falco is wearing the shirt I was going to wear.  it was way too small for me.  He has another plaid shirt, but this one looked better on him.

Handsome young men.
 


lovely little family.

I liked the area- Hudson Mills Metro park.  Just off the main parking lot is where we took all these pictures.  there is a bridge over the steam and lots of old growth trees.  Michigan was at peak fall color.  We have another week here at home before the tress are at peak color.

I am one side of the stream (really small river) and the boys are on the other side.  this is as close as I could zoom in.

El and her girls on the bridge.

I like this one.

Maybe this one more!


the 3 of us. 


On the bridge looking down at the girls posing for El.

On the bridge


The boys were racing across the bridge and I loved the pictures of them just being boys and the joy on their faces.

this is a funny series- Rocket took off and had some comment to Falco about too slow

Then he realizes the Falco is gaining on him very quickly

OH NO, he is right there.

and the grab of the shirt to let Rocket know that he is being passed.

starting over again

Falco is already steps into this race and Rocket is just getting off the starting line



up to speed

being left in the dust

but they are having fun!

Pure joy!




Laughing because he was beat so badly.  it is all good

38 years of friendship- just sitting together and listening to our kids laughing.  Life is good.

Happy kids- E, little C, Rocket and Falco

A great bunch of kids.

I like how Falco ended up with 3 different looks- starting in a plaid shirt, then sweater over the plaid shirt, then just the sweater.


the kids decided to jump off the picnic table.

launch!

starting again.  I like how the girls are in synch- even though they pretty much ignore each other at home- they are really in synch.

Pure Joy!

They had to jump 3 times because E's scarf kept covering her face.

the boys followed suit with jumping off the picnic table.


not in synch- it was telling.  I looked at the synchronization and realized that not living together for years makes everyone out of synch.

I think Falco's name should be "spider teen".  He has the Spiderman leap down pat.

In synch at the end- another good metaphor.


me and the river



the boys look like they are having an intense conversation, in fact they are arguing.

and making silly faces at each other.



racing through the woods while we headed back to the car.




coming back to me

getting ready to be brothers and torture each other.


or drag him to the ground.  They are definitely brothers.



Sunday, we headed home around 12 noon, and this is what I saw within an hour of leaving El's house.

The teen likes to tell me he was awake, but he was not awake.  Both of them slept for about 2 hours.

Pictures from El's camera.  I like this one.

Us on the bridge too.

Again, 38 years of friendship- we like the same colors.
 
 
Because we did not get to pick apples, I found a place 90 minutes from us and we headed there on Saturday.  Since we will be at pick fall color, I expect another bolus of pictures.    It is funny though, I told Falco that the orchard we are going to is in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains.  He was very excited.  I think he is going to be very disappointed because the foothills are just lots of hills.  
 
Our adventure north was filled with lots of "adventures"- close lighthouses, electricity going out during lunch in Marblehead, missed apple picking, El's husband's car breaking down, road construction, lots of time in the van (it was great driving it to and from Michigan), and lots more.  But everyone came through it with a good attitude and lots of fun. 
 
It was a great weekend away.  I really need to plan these every few months or so, regardless of sport schedules.  We just need to go have an adventure.
 
Love and hugs,
 
Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment