Tuesday, October 04, 2016

new adventures, new car

Friday night, I took the boys to the baseball game.  it was the last night for fireworks- actually there were only 2 more games left in the season after this game.  Our team color is Red, but the boys were in blue coats and the rest of the folks around us were all in blue for their team. Their team is in first place in the division, so it was like being at an away game as the Reds are in last place in the division.
 
The boys were quite happy to be at the game. 
It was a little cooler than other weeks, temps in the 60s (20 C).
 
As usually, I brought dinner. Falco was loving it- pulled pork sandwiches, chips and fruit.  The boys also found the $1 hot dog stand later in the game.  The Reds lost 7-2, but Falco got to see a grand slam home run by the Reds.


The fireworks were great.  I realized while I was taking pictures that it is so nice to not worry about how much film I have in my camera and just take pictures.  I think I took over 100 pictures of the fireworks.  I will spare you though and only share 2

 
We had no issues with parking or parking garages this time, but there was another adventure as my friend Fran though her car was stolen.  I think that will be a memory for a long time.

Saturday, Falco was off to a XC race (see details below), and I took Mam to see Rocket play soccer.  His team won their second game of the season.  I don't think he was too happy with me during the game as he was jogging the field while his teammates were racing toward the ball.  He finally picked it up and I was able to get some good action shots.

 
meanwhile- Falco was at XC.  He had to be picked up at 7:40 am for the race, but his race was not until 12.  He did not eat between breakfast and his race and that caused some issues.  Apparently, he feel 2 times on the race course, he says he was told he blacked out.  But I can not imagine the race marshals allowing him to continue racing if he came up to him and found him on the ground. His electrolytes were off for the rest of day.  When he got home, he was sick and really should not have sat to eat a heavy lunch.  He ended up going to bed and sleeping for 2 hours. When he woke up, he was much better.  while he was sleeping, I saw Dr. M (Rocket's doctor, who is also a runner and who also has a son who runs cross country).  Dr. M explained what was likely going on and told me to keep an eye on Falco, make sure he stayed hydrated and to not eat really heavy food- soup and crackers was a good place to start.  Everything is OK- but let me tell you I was not too happy with Falco's coach for having them too early, not encouraging them to eat something around 9 am, and then not knowing that he was down on the course 2 times and not notifying me.  this is the worst part of having kids in 2 separate activities and being a single parent.  Thankfully both boys' seasons should be over in the next few weeks (please God, don't let Rocket's team be forced to go to end of season tournament when they don't have a winning record- please, please, please).

Rocket did some bike riding this week.
 
 
But, the biggest news is that I had to buy a new car!

this is the old car.  My parents owned it for 7 years and then I have owned it the last 12 years.  Wednesday, I took it into the dealership for some servicing- there was a noise under the driver side and the steering wheel had to be at 2 and 7 O'clock.  Well, I did not hear anything from Tommy (the service guy who always takes car of my car) on Wednesday.  On Thursday, when I had not heard from him by 10 am, I called to see if there was news.  because I did not get a call on Wednesday, I knew it was probably going to be bad.  Well, Tommy called back around 11 with the news that the car was not repairable unless I wanted to pay out lots of money and it was so bad, they could not let me take the car back as it was unsafe to drive (thank you God for keeping me and the boys safe).  But, while that was the bad news, he had good news. He knew the car I wanted to buy based on our conversations over the last few years and he had the sales team find the exact car I wanted.  The car was up the road at their other dealership (1 hour up the road), but if I wanted it, they would get it brought down.  I looked at the car online, called my credit union to arrange financing and began the process of buying a new to me car (it is a used car).
 
 
Friday after work, I went to pick up my new Toyota Sienna (mini van)!  I decided not to tell the boys that I knew the car was coming home on Friday, when they asked about the car on Thursday.  I told them we were still looking for a car and it would probably be Tuesday before we had one.  I am so sneaky. 
 
The car came home at 2 pm on Friday and I waited

 
Rocket got home first and I met him at the door instead of letting him come through the garage.  He asked where the loaner car was as it was not sitting in the driveway like it had done since Wednesday.  This is my boy's happy dance when he saw the mini van.

 
Falco was even more fun- he gets picked up from school after practice.  I knew he would be looking for the loaner car, so we were able to drive right up to him without him noticing.  He thought the mini van was another loaner car.  Neither he or Rocket was too happy that I kept it a secret on Thursday, but I enjoyed the fun of keeping a great surprise from them. 
 
the van is great.  it is pleasure to drive and there is lots of room for us.  As you all know, my dad (Pap) has not spoken to me since February 2014.  Well, Mam came home from the soccer game on Saturday raving about the mini van.  On Sunday, I pick up Mam before church- she usually locks the door to the house behind her, but this time, Pap told her he would lock the house door.  She and I were both laughing, he came to the door to look at the van.  He still not talk to me, but he had to see it.  
 
that's all for today, Falco should be texting me soon to pick him from practice.
 
Have a great day, love and hugs,
Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment