Tuesday, December 13, 2016

900th blog- Welcome Falco

Falco arrived on Thursday.  He got into Chicago on Wednesday around 2 pm, then waited with the other students until 12:20 am to board a bus to come here. Their bus got in around 7 am, but I could not come to pick him up until after 11 am.  He was sitting with 4 other students when we got to the area rep's house.  Definitely, he liked the sign we made for him.  He was pretending to be one of those folks to spin signs on the side of the road to get people to come into a business.  This worked out perfectly since his name is on the welcome poster.
 
he said he was not tired, so we drove through Clifton to see the University area.  Then headed toward our area.

Oh- I forgot, we also met C.  C will be staying with us for 1.5 weeks starting on 24Aug while her host family is out of the country.  She seems pretty nice. She is not pictured.  I will have to get a picture of her and Falco on Saturday.

Rocket and I were thirsty so we stopped to get a drink and Falco and I were hungry, so we got some food too.  This is a local hamburger place "big boy". 


Falco's first American hamburger.  I felt very bad for him, he was so cold.  Apparently the bus was super cool and then the restaurant was cold.  But, I think he will adjust to the air conditioning.  He did comment that it was very hot outside.  yesterday the temperatures felt like 100 F (40 C) and it is supposed to be even hotter this weekend. Of course, it is also very humid, so it makes it even worse when you go outside.  Even Pablo does not want to go outside right now.

After eating, we had to waste some time before the school enrollment office opened, so we went to the library and got Falco a library card.  We showed him the music area and the DVD area.  We were able to contrast the difference between his city library and ours.  The biggest difference is that I had to sign for him to be able to check out any materials (versus only allowing him to check out books, or only juvenile materials). We also commented that there are only 4 libraries in his city.  I think we  have 22 branch libraries.  I can't wait to see his and C's reaction to the downtown (main) library. We went to the school office next and waited quite a long time to be seen, but our portion was very quick and he is now registered.  Hopefully, the guidance counselor will call on Monday so we can go pick classes for him.
 
He said he was still not tired, although he had been up almost 48 hours, so we headed to the fabric store to get some fleece so I could make him a quick blanket.  I figure he will be cold here at least until the fall when I turn off the AC.  After this, we headed home to let him unpack. 
 
He is searching through his suitcases for the gifts he brought.  He brought me a cookbook and I have already looked through and seen so many foods I remember from my childhood.  I think my sister is going to be happy to see some of these back on the menu here.  He also brought a sachetorte.  We will have eat that next week- maybe as a last day of summer treat on Thursday.

Rocket and Falco played outside for a while  throwing the football and jumping on the trampoline.  Once they were done, it was shower time and then some relaxing around the house. 
Falco got a  big shock when his school bus pass arrived.  he has to be at the bus stop at 6:45 am in the morning, school starts at 7:20 am.  He was very shocked and not too happy.  Hopefully, the transition to school next week will not be too bad.
 
The boys ended up watching a movie and I grilled hamburgers and cooked corn on the cob.  After dinner, we watched some Olympics and then took a walk around the neighborhood (it was still sooooooo hot at 9 pm (21:00 hours).  He headed off to bed at 9:30, finally exhausted from his travels and the start of his adventure here in the US.
 
Today, I have to work until 12 noon, then we are off to swim with friends.  Friday night is usually movie and homemade pizza night, we'll see if that holds true for today.
 
Love and hugs,
Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment