Sunday, July 17, 2011

more catching up- I think we will back to normal blogging in a couple weeks

Another few weeks of business around here.  We are mid point of VBS at La Vina.  Bug is loving it.  It is so cool to see Bug dancing and singing with all the songs.  Just a few months ago, this would not have been the case.  I guess he truly has come out of his shell as his teacher said at the end of the school year. 

Bug not listening to Miss S tell the Bible story- she is the statue of Liberty since the kids are the an adventure in the "Big Apple" for VBS.


I find it interesting that even at 5 and 6, the kids separate themselves by boys and girls.   I am struggling with this as I think a good bit of the behavior is culturally driven and not so much normal behavior.  Very definitely the girls are very quiet when the boys are around, but there is no way at this point to separate them by gender.  But that is a topic for another day.

Our friend N was in town for a few days.  She and Bug went swimming at the Y and then we joined them for ice cream at one of the local places.  It was icky hot and humid- which is our weather now.  We are in the 90s temperature wise, with humidity in the 90s too, which is giving us a heat index above 100 degrees.  it is not safe to be outside for long periods.  Bug and I are hanging out inside most days.  And Bug is not too happy about it, but when I look at him dripping with sweat, red cheeks and complaining that his stomach hurt, I know we need to be inside.  I did have his blow up pool set up last week, but had to take it down because the water was getting yucky and the pool was killing the grass.  But we were able to use the water to water our garden, so no waste.

Bug and Pap had a great time at the store.  Bug loves to drive the cart.  Pap is not healing well, but we are hopeful that his knee will heal and he will be able to enjoy retirement.

We harvested our first carrots, squash and tomatoes from our garden!!!!  This is the first time in 3 tries that I have been able to grow carrots and squash.  We are still waiting for zucchini and for the peppers.  It does not look like we will get cucumbers this year, unfortunately.  And since I moved the garden beds in the winter, apparently I stirred up all the weed seeds, so I am growing gardens of weeds and weeds too.  I have a lot of work to do this Fall to correct the garden beds for next year.

Bug and Little M trying the carrots.  Little M really like his, Bug declared his "yuck".  I think he just wanted  some humus spread or ranch dip for his carrots.

We have been having lots of yummy ice cream- first with N and then with Mam and Pap.


Some more cart riding and driving- around our favorite store- Home Depot.

And finally some more ice cream.  The local ice cream shop was celebrating its 141 anniversary of being in business.  So cones were $1.41!!!  The place was packed with customers.  The humidity was so high that the ice cream was melting as soon as they gave us the cones. 


And Bug as a seal in the circus.

We are on the count down to school starting.  Bug has about 5 more weeks until school starts (22August).  We bought about 1/2 his school supplies today.  I need to go back and pick up the rest and prestock for later in the year when he needs replacement items and for next year.  You can not beat the sales now.  I am also going to stock up on items for a friends who volunteer with kids and who always ask for donations of school supplies.


Well that is the last few weeks.  We hope your summer has been going well.  I am hoping that I can get back to blogging on a regular basis in a few weeks.

Love and hugs,
Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment