Friday, September 07, 2012

some thoughts on traveling this week

No pictures from my trip, I was too tired to take pictures like I usually do when I am traveling.

Traveling to Boston was straightforward- one flight.  When I got to Boston, the streets were the emptiest I had ever seen.  I shared my observation with the cab driver and come to find out my flight landed right after a huge rain storm.

While there, I did not have a cell phone.  My new cell phone from work (3 weeks old) basically died on Sunday.  I could see the screen's back light was on, but nothing was on the screen.  Monday was a holiday here in the US, but I did call IT hoping they could get me a fix or a new phone before I left on Wednesday.  But that was not to be.  So I traveled with a cell that could receive calls (at least from my testing on Tuesday evening). 

Wednesday I called home from the hotel, because the phone did not work at all once I got to Boston- and yes I put it on the charger.  Thursday was filled with meetings but I was able to talk to Bug from the hotel room before he left for school.  Coming home was the challenge.

When I left the meeting, I forgot to work out with one of my colleagues to call home once I got to the airport to let Mam and Pap know my first flight was still on time.  Coming home I had to take 2 flights.  I got to my first destination and I had a 5 hour layover and no way to call home.  Internet reception at the airport was awful.  it took me over an hour to get connected.  I was able to get one of my siblings to call my parents early on to let them know I was on my way home and all my flights were still on time.  close to the boarding time for my second flight (the last flight home), I was asked another passenger if I could use her phone to call home.  She was happy to let me call home on her phone, so I was able to leave a message that I was arriving at the airport at midnight as scheduled.

What I learned in all of this, is that I am not happy without a cell phone.  My work team can not reach me- even though I had left them a colleague at the meeting to contact, that colleague turned off her phone during the meeting (she is a good PM).  And I was anxious that Mam and Pap had no way to reach me nor could I reach them.  I was worried just in case anything happened to Bug or me.

I don't want a personal cell phone, that would leave me with 4 phone numbers- 2 for work, 2 for home.  But I think if thus ever happens again, a stop at Wal Mart or some place like that will be in order for a disposable phone or a phone I can just put minutes on. 

My new work cell phone arrived on Thursday morning and is currently charging.  fingers crossed this one lasts more than 3 weeks as I have another trip at the beginning of October. At least that trip will not involve 9 hours in airports and airplanes.

Love and hugs,
Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment