Friday, June 01, 2018

1st day in Guatemala 01Jun2018

 11 years after coming home, we are back in Guatemala for a visit.  our days started by going to bed at 11.30 pm on Thursday night.  Our wake up was 3.30 am on Friday morning.  We did great for 4 hours of sleep.  This is us on the first leg into Atlanta.  We had a short 90 minute layover before we got on the second plane that would take us into Guatemala.  It was raining at home as we drove to the airport, but the rain cleared out as daylight broke.  No issues into Atlanta or into Guatemala.  But the heavens opened up within 2 hours of us being in Guatemala. 
I guess 6 trips to Guatemala without any real rain has been a fluke, as it is expected to rain all week here.  It looks like we might be able to swim before lunch most days- but the afternoons are shot.
 Coming into Guatemala City.  This leg of the trip had some issues.  When I checked us in on Thursday, I had the option to take an upgrade to first class.  I did not take it as Rocket and I would not be sitting next to each other.  He would have been in the seat in front of me.  I should have taken it.  We needed up in the row right behind first class, where there were 3 seats in the space of 2 first class seats. The seats had no monitor on the seat in front of us- which I wanted so rocket could watch a movie, the monitor was one that you pull up from the edge of the seat.  Which meant, we had physical dividers between us, so no real room to wiggle around.  The ceiling air flow was not working on our seat, so I was really uncomfortable as the flight went on, getting overheated.  UGHHHHH.  When I check us in for the return, if there is an opportunity to upgrade to first class, I am taking it, even if Rocket is not beside me.

 Our hotel room- the first floor.  Rocket really wanted to be in the in the suite.  it was not any more than I spent last time we were here.  So he is sleeping on the pull out couch because despite asking for 2 beds, they booked us into room where there is only a king size bed.  He is actually quite happy- he has his own space for the night, his own bathroom, and his own dresser.  Yep- I spoil him.
 My room- upstairs.  We have our own TVs on each level, but I am going to hang out on the couch in when we have time to watch TV.  We are also on the club floor- so snacks in the late afternoon and fruit for our room!!!

 this is what happens to Rocket 12 hours after a 3.30 am wake up- he crashes on my lap while watching futbol.  I let him sleep for 30 minutes and then i moved us to the bed.  we had a 2.5 hour nap.  Yes, I know you aren't supposed to do that, but 3.30 am is really early, especially on 4 hours sleep.
 Black bean soup = one happy boy!
 Oh, I am seriously getting breast reduction after this picture.  YIKES.  Good thing the boy and I are starting a 30 day work out challenge today - he really has 90 days, but I am breaking it up into 30 day chunks for him.
Finally, some Maya gliphs from the airport.  We will see Popi and Momi tomorrow and the girls sometime later, depending on their work schedule.

that's all for tonight.  it is 8.32 pm here (which is 10.32 pm to our bodies) and I think it is bed time.

Love and hugs,
Deb y Rocket

No comments:

Post a Comment