Thursday, June 14, 2018

Lake Atitlan with pictures

Our day started at 7 am, driving from the city to the lake.  Our driver, Victor took us the rural route to the lake so we could see the beauty of Guatemala.  We had about 2.5 hours of driving before getting to the lake.  The pictures are out of order due to coming from 2 different cameras.

These are from the good camera.
At the look out point.  We can not see Panjachel as it is directly below us.
 The lake is a crater of long extinct volcano.  The volcano blew up thousands of years ago.  Now it is surrounded by 3 smaller volcanos.  In the morning, the scenery is clear.  But in the afternoon, the clouds come in because it is the rainy season.  even in the 30 minute drive down to Panjachel, the clouds really built up.

 Wearing our FC Cincinnati gear on this trip.




 the volcano.  This is not fuego.  I will have to look up the 3 volcanos around the lake
 We took a boat ride and we had the choice of looking at hotels or the homes of the "rich and famous".  We chose looking at houses.  We found a few we liked.

 The boy on the boat on the lake.  I love my boy.




Here we start the pictures from my phone.  These start along the trip into the lake.

Fuego from the other side.  the city is beyond Fuego.

 The valleys of vegetables. 

 This is Agua and Arct?????


 The hotel in Panjachel where were took a break before going into the market area had some fantastic artwork for sale.  I just dont have 800 US for a painting.
 The lake, from the dock
 Popi, the boy, and Mireya- all representing FC Cincinnati


 All of us.

 Leaving the lake, we stopped at the waterfall.




 Passing by the lake on the way to Chichicostenago.  This is near a bioreserve.  We might have to stay here next time.
 We got to ChiChi around lunch time, so we ate at the San Tomas Restaurant/hotel.  I loved the birds- like at San Domingo in Antigua.  I would definitely not recommend San Tomas for a Sunday lunch.  they were clearly out to get money - lots of money.  And the food was not that good

Colors from the market.  The market was an experience.  I did buy some things, but I can live without it moving forward.  There was one girl who wanted me to buy her school shoes because I would not buy other things from her.  Then she saw me buying a pillow cover and wall hanging and she walked with me for 30 minutes trying to sell me magnets.  I offered her Q20 and she was trying for so much.  I finally told her 20 or nothing and then she just walked with me offereing me 22 for what seemed hours.  I finally got her to accept Q20.  It was last time I want to be in a situation like this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment