Thursday, June 14, 2018

Tikal

 Another early day- literally.  I was told we had to be downstairs at the hotel at 5:30, so we planned for a 4:30 am wake up to shower.  Instead, the call came at 4;20 asking where we were as we were supposed to leave at 4:30.  We were downstairs in 5 minutes (so proud of us).  We got to the airport and found out that there is nothing in the domestic terminal at Guatemala- nothing to drink, nothing to eat AND our flight did not start boarding until 6:15.  Dang it, we could have slept until 4:30 and still be fine.  So 1.5 hours in the airport with nothing to do.
 The flight is only about an hour- doors closed until disembarking in Flores.  Super fast flight.  Peten is flat!!! 
 The boy on the bus to Tikal.  The ride is about 1 hour 20 minutes, but they broke it up by stopping at a place with bathrooms, water to buy, souvenirs, and things you need in Tikal (like bug spray and sunscreen). 
 Happy little family
 Following Roel, our guide, into the jungle


 palace G

 I can see the temple!!!!!!
 I am so excited.  I told the boy that this was a life long dream- since I was little girl and I was going to cry when we got to the central plaza.

 but before the central plaza, we have to see the north acropolis (residential area).

 OMG- I am really here!!!


 The central plaza!!!!!    We could not climb Juagar temple, but we could climb the Temple of the Masks.  Rocket was not too happy.

 I was ecstatic.  Best Day ever!!!!

 The Star Wars temple (really known as temple 5)



 197 steps to the top of temple 5.  LOVING IT
 the whole plain.  you can see the other temples.

So let's talk distance, temps and humidity.  We walked 10 KM (climbing and walking(, which is about 6.2 miles.  It was 93 F and 95% humidity.  we were at the park from 10-2 pm, so in the heat of the day.  we had lunch next- it was delicious.  We were on the tour with 3 people from Ecuador.  we had a great time with them- between our Spanish and their English, we had a great conversation at lunch and on the tour.
 The bus ride home was quiet - AKA the Mayan siesta.  I was too hot to sleep- my skin felt like it was on fire.The cloth seats did not help.
 Another view of the boy sleeping.
 The tour guide took us to the lake at Flores to walk around, but it was too hot to walk around in the city.  so we all wanted to go back to the airport to sit down.
 HEHE- the bengals motto on display in Flores.
 quick pictures by the lake with the boy
 Roel- the guide.  He was awesome
 Our little tour- Franc, me, the boy, Gabriela and Isabella
 The airport in Flores.  It is tiny, but it has AC and food and drinks.
 Going home.  Coming to Tikal, we had a full plane, but coming back, there were 6 rows empty at the back.  The boy and I had a row to ourselves.  Interestingly, no one else really wanted to come to the back to have more room. 
 The clouds were really cool on the way home.
 Me
 Sunset as we leave Tikal.  so coool.

 The alien landscape of the top of the clouds.  this was the beginning of the thunderstorms below us.  the next set of clouds brought lightening within the clouds.  we flew between the storms and never saw rain until we landed in GC and could see the wet ground.
 The boy took pictures of the city for me from the airport.




 an original wooden lintel form 700 AD









 The jaguar temple
 The temple of the masks- we are going up to that observation level.









 The boy was not too excited to be up this high with no railings to stop us from falling off.  But he was a trooper.  I am so proud of how he pushed himself out of his comfort zone.

 looking down the first set of stairs.
 looking back to the ledge
 Spider monkey in the tree


this was a great day.  I should have pushed through and gone to the pool when we got back to the hotel, but I was so tired.  Unfortunately, my feet felt like they were still walking and every time I closed my eyes, it was like I was on the bus again.  It took me about about 3 hours to get to sleep.  Lesson learned- always go to the pool to relax.

No comments:

Post a Comment