Friday, March 23, 2012

Mulch- getting ready for veggie gardening

We had some mulch delivered today.  I have never done this, usually I buy about 20 bags of mulch per year and mulch the gardens.  But this is actually cheaper, especially when they offer free delivery.  When I set up the delivery, I had no idea it would be the rainy day this week. But on the plus side, it was the coolest day this week.  Bug was very excited to see the dump truck arrive.

Checking the process- this is Terry, from the garden center.


scrapping everything out

We took delivery of 2 yards of mulch.  We got about 1.5 yards put around the 3 apple trees and 2 of the 5 vegetable gardens.  We finally stopped due to the rain and thunder.  We will have about a hour of work in the morning to get the last bit on the 3 remaining garden beds.  Then Sunday, we can plant lettuce, radishes, peas and spinach.  Bug was a great help, he helped fill the wheel barrow and he spread the mulch around when I dumped it out.

The most interesting part of the mulching process- talking to all my neighbors who came out to see what was going on.  Apparently, a momma and her son hauling mulch around is a big event in the neighborhood.  My neighbor in the house in the pictures offered me an extra tarp when the rain really started coming down.  I did end up using it when I finally decided to call it a night.  Other neighbors just hung out on their back porch and watched and had the kids ask questions.  Life with neighbors right next to you.

Bug and I did good work today and now we are tired.  Hopefully Bug will sleep late and I can finish up the mulch quickly in the morning so we can head out to go swimming.

Love and hugs,
Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment