Thursday, January 28, 2016

Basketball Tournament

Rocket's team is in a tournament this week and next week.  He played his first game last night.  He really likes the gym where the tournament is held, there is a upper level in the gym. 
The team played hard, but they lost.  But there is a silver lining, Rocket scored a basket!  
I did not get a picture of it, but he did it.  I am hoping one of the other parents got the picture.





I am really struggling with one aspect of the tournament.  The tournament is for "B" teams or lower.  But the "A" at our school is also participating.  The coach and coordinator lied about the other team and entered them as a "B" team and Rocket's team was entered as a "c" team. This is a violation of the school's code of conduct.  The other parents on our team are upset about this, we talked about it at the game, I drafted a letter to the athletic association board and sent it to the other parents so they could edit before I sent to the board.  So far every parent has indicated they don't want their names associated with it.  I am so disappointed.  What are we teaching our kids??  Do we want them to learn that lying is acceptable, that you can lie your way into a tournament, into games, etc?  Why is it acceptable for coaches to do this, when the same behavior from the kids would get them in trouble with the school and possibly removed from the team.  I don't understand it all.  This is not what I want my son to learn from sports. 
This is just one thing that see as inconsistent with activities at his school.  People don't walk the talk but they act like they do.  I am so disappointed today.
 
We play the other team next Thursday night.  I am not looking forward to it all.  I am not looking forward to this week at all.  I am supposed to be celebrating my birthday with these parents tomorrow night and I wish I could just cancel the party right now.
 
 
I am off to have birthday dinner with my boy - today is my actual birthday.  Maybe some fun with the boy will change my mood.
 
Love to you,
Deb
 

No comments:

Post a Comment