Thursday, August 11, 2011

updates to the last post

So I have been thinking and analyzing the last few days.  I really knew immediately the other night what Bug was saying. 
A rite of passage is the statement to your parents that you want to run away.  For Bug, that is scary, but to say that he wanted to go back to Guatemala- that is safe.  he knows what love he would go back to.  He also knows that he misses the girls terribly.  So to state he wants to go back is to be expected.  I expect he will say it many times.  I expect that it may be his choice when he is 18.  It is OK and I am fine with that, is that not what we want for our kids, that they grow up knowing they are free to be the person they want to be??

I think Bug is also struggling with change- which is normal for him.  Summer is ending, school will be starting in just over a week.  He has watched me buy his school supplies, he has watched me buy his school uniforms, he hears me talking about going back to school.  This is change and in his mind, change is not always good.  But, I am confident he will be fine.  He just needs a few weeks in school and all will be normal for him again.

One thing he is worried about is me going to Boston again- which will be in September.  I think he remembers last year when I went to Boston early in the school year and then at the beginning of summer.  And yet the same thing is happening again.  I know I am going, I am just not sure of the dates, but likely mid September.  Hopefully things will be settled enough that a few days in Boston will not throw off everything, but I will have to watch it as it compounds Bug feeling unsettled.

I have started working with Bug to set some goals for this coming school year.  I need to do some checking and have a long talk with his teacher, but we are really going to work goals this year.  Setting up some mini goals, some big goals and some stretch goals for him. Good thing we will be seeing El soon so I can get everything formalized.

The next big thing is the planning for going back to Guatemala in 2012.  We had to cancel this year's trip, but we can not cancel the trip in 2012.  As this year closes, I will be able to see when the window of opportunity to go back to Guatemala will be open and I will be planning in earnest.  Although I had to have the talk with Bug about how we can cut spending now to help defray costs next year. 

So that is the update for now.  Things are good and getting better.

Love and hugs,
Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment