Saturday, June 16, 2012

Some final thoughts on the trip

Our trip was great, but there were a few things that could have been better, but it was great overall.

Great:
1. Seeing Popi, Momi Mireya, Susi, Karla, Nigua, David, Joel, Josue, Josslin and other friends
2. Meeting our Compassion kids
3. Seeing Guatemala- new things for us
4. Zip Line!!!
5. Riding Mules/Burra
6. Swimming
7. Carlos (business center), Hugo, Luis, and Marcicio at La Vista
8. Nancy Hoffman's help in organizing activities- she is the best.

Could have been better/never to be repeated:
1. The Barcelo- it is definitely not the same.  Only 3 people we knew all working at La Vista, and a new friend at the Business center. 
2. The wait staff at La Vista- other than our 5 friends from previous visits, the wait staff could have cared less about actually providing service.  I did actual let the manager know: we had one day the waiter never came to check on us at breakfast, we just left our money (Mam's soda) on the table and left. On the last night, we watched a waiter fill a water glass on a table where the customer had left 30 minutes before.  The staff seem more interested in talking to each other and hiding behind the wall- sounds like most restaurants here in the US
3. getting sick on vacation- Mam was overheated and dehydrated most of the trip, this put a damper on her activities. Bug contracted lice (YUCK!!!) while on the trip and then we had the excitement (NOT) of a chemical burn in his eyes from the last medicine we got.  The visit from the hotel doctor was unwelcome drama to end our trip.  Thankfully everyone has mad a full recovery.

Totally Awesome:
1. Zip lining in Antigua
2. the Relief Map in Zona 1
3. The playground/rides near the Relief map
4. The party for Bug on Sunday (welcome home party)
5. Being with La Familia and just spending time with them


I am already thinking about our next trip- perhaps a month in Guatemala.  I could work for 2 weeks- I just need Internet access and a phone and my company has a Guatemala office (I wonder if I sit at desk there) and then Bug could take Spanish lessons and we could travel for the last 2 weeks or 1 week at the beginning and then 1 week at the end.  That would be so cool. 

Bug is dealing with the sadness of being home.  He misses the things we did he says, but I think really it is that he misses la Familia and the entire day with me.  It is normal and I continue to help him work thru his emotions and I help him give names to his emotions.  He has been struggling this week- being exhausted and filled with lots of big emotions is hard on everyone.

So that is all on this trip for the time being.  I still have to get Amiga and Mam's pictures- I am sure I will add more then.

Love and hugs,
Deb


No comments:

Post a Comment