Thursday, June 28, 2012

update but no pictures

So, things have been stressful around here this week and I have avoided writing about it all until I knew where it was going.
So first to be clear- the dog was going to be called Douggie (spelled Duge) but Bug has changed it back to Luke.  So the dog has been Luke since Sunday. But we call him Lukie (or Luke E).

Sunday, Luke jumped up on Bug and mouthed his face- this involved putting his teeth on Bug's cheek just below his eye.  Needless to say I was freaked out.  I called the rescue group and then called a trainner. The trainner could not come out until today.

I have been on guard this week and had pretty much come to the conclusion that Luke was leaving this house.  I agreed to give it until the meeting with the trainner before I made a final decision.  But I did call the rescue group this morning and let them know my thoughts.

The trainner came over this evening and spent 90 minutes with us.  I asked him point blank, about half way thru the time, if he thought that Luke was a good a dog for our family.  He was completely honest and said yes, Luke is a good dog, we do have about 2 months of work and it will be about a year before Luke sees Bug as being higher on the family totem pole, but Luke is a going to be just fine in our family.   A huge relief was lifted aff my shoulders.

In the rest of the time, the trainner showed us about 3 items and worked with us and Luke on those- that is our homework this coming week.  Luke is already responding to the training.

I called the rescue group and let them know that it is offical, we want to adopt Luke. 

We will be working hard with training but Bug is super happy to have his dog.

In other news - it is hotter than hades here.  today it was 103F according to the temperature gauge in my car.  Tomorrow is expected to be the same.  YUCK.  It is not fun being outside and Luke does not get that I melt in this type of heat.

so that is it for tonight, pictures coming thru the weekend.

Love and hugs,
Deb

1 comment:

  1. Puppies are a lot of work, that's why I ignore Tami's request for one. (Oh, and I'm allergic, but it's mostly the work.) Hope you continue to progress and Luke does well with his homework. (I personally liked the name Duge better.) :)

    ReplyDelete