Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Living the good life

Here are pictures from our trip to the park this evening. feeding crackers to the ducks
running with joy


playing with a new friend


running hard



he is just so cute- just so cute



I have thought some more about Bug's reaction to our trip and I think some of it is the timing. We all are wired to remember events and stresses in our lives. So to Bug, coming up the anniversary of his homecoming, that is a stressful time for him- that is when he lost his family. And even though the date had passed, it was still lingering as we left for vacation. So adding to his stress was the fear of being abandoned.





Looking forward to the future, what he needs is the tools to recognize that May/June is stressful for him based on 2007 and he needs the tools to help him deal with his emotions. I can't take away the emotions, I can't take away his feelings- but I can give him the tools to recognize what is triggering his reactions and I can give him the tools to work through it all- that is my job as his parent- to help him learn the tools, learn the triggers so that he is able to work through it all on his terms.



So realizing this now, I see that we can take vacations, I just need to make sure he understands that it stressful to leave home, that we will come together and that our family is forever. I need to include him in the planning so he has a sense of control and a sense of our return.
Love and hugs,
Deb










2 comments:

  1. The heat was probably a factor too. No one can really enjoy themselves in this heat. It makes everything harder. Still, he did really well for a first big vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing these wonderful moments in their lives, is very special to us, we love and miss.
    Family Pineda Caceres.

    ReplyDelete