Tuesday, December 06, 2011

St Nicholas came to our house

St Nick is a tradition in my family- it goes back to my German heritage.  Now I pass it on to Bug.  Before this year, he was clueless to the whole thing, But yesterday he came home from school so excited to share with me that St Nick was coming.  He also asked of St Nick came to our house.  I love it, finally he is getting that there are different traditions and not everyone does things the same.  At the same time, it was so cool to be able to tell him that, YES, we get a visit from St Nick.  At our house, St Nick brings goodies and puts them in our stockings, other houses St Nick brings toys and other houses, he bring fruit and puts them in shoes. 
Bug did get a DVD (for family movie night) and a water bottle for his bike, but this was the exception.


In his stocking, he got some M&M candy

2 candy canes, some chocolate gold coins and Reese cups shaped like Christmas trees.  He was happy.

Very Happy little man at 6:40 am

Then he moved on to my stocking.  I got 2 Ritter sport chocolate bars and one cadbury chocolate bar.  YUMMMMM

Realizing there is a DVD sitting there.  One happy little man.
I realized as I watched him that we have no Guatemalan traditions around the holidays, so I am thinking that we will add 3 kings day- is this celebrated in Guatemala, and/or we will make tamales to give to friends.  I am pretty sure tamales will not be on the schedule this year since I have a business trip next week, but we could add 3 Kings day this season.  This would also allow me to practice making tamales before we actually give them to friends. 
Are there other traditions we could add- we are a German, Irish, Guatemalan family now?


Love and hugs,
Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment