Sunday, September 27, 2009

More homecoming pictures and some pictures from birthday celebration

Uncle D turned 45 today- YEAHHHHHH. I hosted the family party- the first one Mariposa attended. We had to teach her the family version of the birthday song. I think she was not so impressed. her birthday is coming in a month- so she will get to experience it again.



Mariposa and I made dinner tonight- weiners chnitzel (breaded pork chops) and potatoes. Mariposa brought a German cookbook that is in English. This was fun meal to make.




Bug "resting" on the couch, waiting for Mariposa to come home from the homecoming dance.


on the couch he sleeps so compactly- in the bed- he is all over the place.








This is me, on Homecoming night. bug refused to be in the picture






Jas being goofy








Good looking couple.

















Mariposa got home at 12:30 am Sunday morning. She came into the house glowing and exuding happiness- the happiest I have seen her since she arrived. It was infectious. She said she had a great time. She did mention the freshman who asked her "what language do you speak in Germany?". Apparently this freshman thought that Germans speak English as their first language. Unbelievable- I can not believe the ignorance of students today- to not know basic history- Mariposa has been asked how Hitler is doing, and now this with this freshman. What the heck are students being taught- clearly it is not world history. I am assuming they are being taught the graduation tests- all part of no child left behind. Instead of educating our youth- we are handicapping them because they are taught nothing more than the test. I am scared for them and for the world. That statement completely sounded like my parents- but it true- how can you live in a world that instantly connected but be so ignorant of basic things?????
Love to you,
Deb























2 comments:

  1. I guess it's kind of like asking what language Tami will speak. Yes, adults have asked me if she'll understand English. Um, she's only 8 months old...

    One of my favorite posts from Melissa Faye Greene (www.thereisnomewithoutyou.com) describes how her new 13-year old son came home very excited to have learned the 13 months in English. She tried to get her other children to back her up in saying there are only 12 months in English. She asked one son who had been here for many years how many months there are, and he said FOUR. Scary.

    And you know my feelings about teaching to the test, how critical thinking (and common sense) skills have gone by the wayside in favor of "literacy skills." Quite sad.

    I'm happy to hear Mariposa had such a good time!!!

    ReplyDelete