Wednesday, September 02, 2009

My first School open house

I survived. I met all Mariposa's teachers tonight. Very nice.

The best part of the night- finding out that her 4 classes (90 minutes per class) are really 30 minutes of instruction and 45 minutes of letting the kids do their homework and 15 minutes of talking. Unbelievable!!!!

The French teacher wants Mariposa to move to the AP French class- same class period, but they work independently for all but 45 minutes of the week. during the 45 minutes, they talk to the teacher. I am not so sure about this as I think this is a cop out for the teacher especially when she stood in front of the parents and exclaimed that the students she has taught for 3 years can't speak French. her reasoning, the previous curriculum focused on grammar and writing and the new curriculum this year focuses on speaking. so moving forward in the French department kids will be speaking more than writing. I think she is just taking an easy way out.

that's all for tonight.

Love and hugs,
Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment