Thursday, September 02, 2010

School update- but no pictures

We are at the end of one full week of school. It is still a week of transitions and I forget how much Bug hates transitions of any sort, so it has also been a challenging week.

first the positives:
1. Bug loves school (he told a friend that today as she visited)
2. He loves the bus ride.

The negatives:
1. Homework- he refuses to do it each evening.  His homework is to color a page that the teacher sends home.  It should take him 10 minutes maximum to color.  I am lucky if he finishes coloring in 30 minutes and this is not including the fight to get him to even start.
2. eating lunch- he has brought home his lunch for 3 days uneaten.  This includes his snack.  I had to write a note to the teacher asking for help in this area as Bug was coming home starved and eating from 3 pm until bed time.  The last 2 days he has eaten his lunch and and snack.
3. Bug wants to be with me all the time after school.  Which is bad when I still have about 1.5 hours of work. The plan is that Bug gets a snack and can watch TV from 3:15 to 4 pm, then at 4 pm he does his homework.  At 4:30 I am done with work and we head off to do our evening events.

The loving reminder from Mam that Bug hates change and he needs time to have school become routine was well appreciated.  I am hoping that another week of school gets Bug in the routine of doing homework, or at least settles him down so that it is not a fight every day.  It will get better each day and Bug did much better today with his school work.  He did not have homework,  and I think that helped with a better attitude this evening.

Lots of fun pictures coming this weekend as it is holiday and we are finally having Bug's family birthday party.

Love and hugs,
Momma

1 comment:

  1. As a former Kindergarten teacher, I would suggest mentioning how long homework is taking to his teacher. She may have suggestions and also be able to motivate him more from her end (I sometimes found, if I asked a student to do something, they would be more willing to do it for me than their parents).
    Glad that he loves school!

    ReplyDelete