Wednesday, December 08, 2010

follow up to the medical information I got yesterday

Yesterday, Bug's doctor indicated that children of Hispanic (Latino/Ladino), Indian or African descent have a higher incidence of allergies.  well, the geeky data manager in me had to go searching for the data on this pronouncement.

I found it- it is specific to the US and more specifically the incidence rate is higher due to social economic issues, not to genetic issues.  So i am discounting the information at this point.

The variety of articles I read pointed to:
1. A  lack of adequate health care - not an issue for Bug
2. Smoking in the home- not an issue for Bug
3. A lack of understanding of medical profession and/or medical instructions- not an issue for Bug
4. Lack of hygienic living conditions- meaning cockroaches, etc being present in the home- not an issue for Bug


I am still going to have Bug tested for allergies- just to see what he might be allergic too.  But our hometown is known for being allergy central.

There was another article that talked about allergy prevalence being higher than 50 years ago.  The authors debunked the idea that the increase allergies are being caused by more sterile environments kids are exposed to here in the US.  Instead the authors pointed to an increase in plastics in our environment.  Which makes sense given what we continue to find out about oil based products.  I am not sure I think it is all one thing, I do think that a more sterile environment plays into increased sensitivity, but that is just my opinion.

In any case, I thought I needed to clear up the statement from yesterday.  Next time I see the doctor, I will let him know what my research found.


In bug news- he went to bed at 7:30 tonight and based on his melt downs before bed, he needed to go to bed at 5 pm.  I should be going to bed too- I ma tired and my appointment is tomorrow.  I am looking forward to some relief.

Love and hugs,
Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment