Tuesday, February 22, 2011

time does not stand still

You all might remember this picture- this is Rosa.  I have sponsored her thru compassion since she was 5 years old.  Last night, I received word that she is graduating and will no longer be in the compassion program.  I was her first and only sponsor.  13 years later, we are saying good bye. 

I am happy and sad.  happy that she finished high school, that she dreams of being a doctor, that she has skills that will allow her to break the cycle of poverty.  But I am sad, sad because I will not be able to follow her further, to communicate with her.  There were years of silence on my part and I see them now as wasted.  I was just a sponsor, but over the last 7 years, I have been more faithful in writing.  I still could have done better. 

I now I have to sit and write a final letter to her, pick out some pictures to send her, to close our relationship. She will never be far from my thoughts, her picture will remain posted in our house.  She will be forever stuck in my mind as an 18 year old.  How do I say good bye? 

I went hunting for her first picture I received, I have not found it yet, but I know I have it.  I was thinking of sending her copies of the first picture and the last picture I have of her as part of my final letter.  I wonder if she has pictures of herself, I wonder if she knows just how precious she is- even though I tell her all the time in my letters.

Time does not stop and I know she is going out into adulthood with skills and hope and ambition.  I know she will succeed. I know that she was the beginning of the journey I have taken over the last 13 years.

And into her spot, another young lady steps- chosen because of a name that needs to be remembered, to honor a little girl and a strong momma here in the US, a chance to set one more child free of the cycle of poverty and to give a child hope.  A chance to tell one more child that they are loved and are precious beyond all riches and that they have value.  A chance to give back. A chance for hope.

Rosa is the 3rd compassion child I have had to say good bye to in the last  2 years.  It does not get easier and no matter the reason the kids leave the program, it still is  hard to say good bye.

Love and hugs,
Deb

1 comment:

  1. May God bless Rosa and keep her close in His care. May He bless you for blessing this girl and the others. :-)

    ReplyDelete