Monday, November 01, 2010

musings on a Monday- National Adoption Month

It is the start of National Adoption Month.  I can't say I will blog about adoption every day- because I know you all would kill me for not keeping you updated on Bug's adventures.

1. Bug is either doing well in school or struggling.  No report card for the kindergartners until January.  But it is a fight regularly to get him to work on his sounds.  Right now in his phonetics homework, he is supposed to tell me the 2 words (of 3 words) that have the same starting sound.  An example would be the words "black", "yellow", and "blue".  Bug will pick any combination except the one with both the words starting in "B".  EVERY SINGLE TIME he does this.  I realize there is an element of memorization to alot of this- but at the same time, drilling him until he knows the answer because he memorized the pattern on this sheet does not seem correct to me.  If he does not understand it, how can he apply it to the next worksheet?  but at the same time, the fact that he deliberately chooses the pair of words that don't go together shows that he does know the words that do go together. If he did not know the pair, then eventually he would pick the pair- but he will choose anything but that pair and then proceeds to alternate his choices between the 2 wrong choices. So frustrating!!!!!

2.The girls across the street are getting on my nerves- or perhaps it is the mom.  As I went out to pick up Bug from the bus this afternoon, they were getting out of their car.  The oldest, E1, ran up to talk to me, E2 kept asking what I was doing. I causally asked if E1 had school today (she was off last Thursday and Friday).  Mom told me E1 had a fever least night after trick or treating and then was up in the middle of night with a fever of 102.5 F.  So E1 stayed home day, went to the doctor and is on an antibiotic.  Can you see it coming?????   Yep, at 4 pm, our door bell rang and E1 was coming over to play with us!!!!!!!!!!  I had to explain to her that since she was home sick today and was on medication, she could not play with us until tomorrow.  E1's mom really scares me- she is clueless.  Yes, I know people parent differently and yes, I was going to take Bug to Hermano's birthday party when he was sick (call me stupid- but I learned my lesson), but E1's mom really does some different things then I would ever do.

3. the searcher emailed me - this is the searcher who has been trying to find Bug's birth mother.  She, the searcher, called the birth uncle again and the birth mother has not come home or contacted the birth family.  At least that is what he is saying.  The searcher believes that it is possible the birth mother has made contact or come home, but uncle will not tell the searcher.  So the searcher is suggesting that I ask a friend who speak Spanish to help me call the uncle and see if we have any luck getting contact information for Bug's birth mother.  I asked a friend this weekend and now we are just looking to schedule some time to make the call.   I know people disagree with me on my continued desire to find Bug's birth mother, but she deserves to know he is OK and Bug deserves the truth. I just get to be one who makes the effort.  I wonder about her, about what she might be thinking and it is pretty much a daily thing at this point (but it is that time of the year).  if nothing else, I can give her pictures of Bug and a letter and maybe she will tell me what really happened, so Bug knows the truth.  I should clarify- if we get a contact number for her or find out she is back with her family, the searcher will be the one contacting her - it will not be direct contact between us.  The call is help determine if she can be located and to set the stage for another package going to the searcher and the searcher going back to area Bug's family lives in. 
I must admit, I get envious of families who make contact with or have contact with their child's birth family.  I think it is "the grass is always greener on the other side syndrome".  In the boards I am on, we hear the success stories, I don't think I know any horror stories of contact with the birth families.  So I have this rose colored picture of what I think will happen. the reality will likely be so much different and  right now is so much different.  But I have to remember the blessings of Bug's adoption- the things  we have right now.

So for this month, I am going to list our adoption blessings.


Blessing 1:   Bug's totally awesome foster family- the first family he ever knew.

There are not enough words to describe them and the contribution to Bug's life and my life.  Simply put, they are an answer to PRAYER.  Thru the adoption process, as we transitioned to a family and now as our lives change and grow- they are God's blessing. 



Love and hugs,
Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment