Saturday, March 13, 2010

Home and garden show 2010- the unofficial start to Spring

The unofficial start to Spring was today for our family- the Home and Garden show.  We got up at 7:30 this morning, headed out to pick up Mam at 9:00 and were downtown by 9:30.  The H&G show did not open until 10:30, but the annual St. Patrick's Day parade was also today and streets in the downtown area were being closed starting at 8:30 am, so I wanted us parked before all the streets closed.   We walked through the mall downtown- all the stores closed at the time, but also, lots of empty retail spots.  The mall has not done well for years and the sconomy recently has not helped at all.


Since we had time, we took time to look at the exhibits outside the event- the mini van was a huge hit.  No pictures, but we spent a good 20-30 minutes looking at it.  I am considering getting one this year- toward the end of the year.  Hijo liked it, my parents used to have one.  It definitely gives us more room if our family changes but also for vacations and hauling things around. 

Once the show opened, we were ready.  We saw the solar panel guys- they are coming out to talk to me- though there is no way I can afford solar panels at this time and I would prefer to wait until I have to replace the roof onthe house first and then add solar panels- that way I know it will be another 20-30 years before the roof needs to be replaced and the panels need to be moved.

Hijo liked the door displays- he had great fun showing me how the doors worked and how the doors lock one side.  Of course, the fountains were a huge hit with him too.  I think he had to touch every one in this location.

Hijo reffused to be in the picture with me.  So it isjust me beside the water feature. He was mad becuase I told him to leave the plants alone- he kept lifting them out of the water and moving them.  He found another fountain- a rain barrel.  He was happy.


I liked these tiles.  They would be great even as outside wall decorations or painted on to my concrete patio. 

So if you remember, Hijo refused to touch any character at Disney last summer- well, 8 months have sure changed his perspectivie on characters.  He RAN to see Clifford, the big red dog.  I mean, he jumped out of the stroller and ran down there.  He was so happy.  he told Clifford that he watches him every day (or at least every day that he is at Mam and Pap's house).


Hijo had to try out some cars too.  He refused to let me open the door to take his picture, sorry for the bring glare.

Home Depot sponsors the show, or is one of the main sponsors, so they had a kids area set up.  Hijo got to make a display for his cars- AKA victroy lane.  He was loving it. 

And then we had to ride the riding lawn mowers- AKA tractors.
We entered the H&G show through the wrong doors this year and ended up right by the kids playsets- which the kids are encouraged to try out.  it took some convincing, but Hijo finally accepted that we would see the show and then come back to the play area at the end.  True to our word, we came back. 
Hijo spent some time jumping on an enclosed trampoline.  Which he loved and the sales guy tried to convince me that we had room for in our back yard.  We don't have room and I am not going to pay increased insurance rates becuase we have one, so we are not getting one.
Hijo played on the playscapes- this one was huge.  It was twice the size of the one he has at home.  But he was overwhelmed by it too.  But he liked it and he enjoyed playing on it.


The afternnon was spent at Costco, the mall up north and Chick-a-fil.  After chick-a-fil, we headed to Mam and Pap's house for some more playtime.  Hijo was full of energy after a 20 minute nap in the car on the way home, while the grown ups all were tired.   Hijo ended up with his building blocks and making towers to be knocked down.  He was happy.  We got home at 7:40 this evening.  11 hours out of the house- a long day.


He had his camera today- but stopped taking pictures after we got downtown.  here are some of the pictueres he took this morning- he especially wants the girls to know that these are for them so that they know he loves them.


Momma driving- he was taking pictures of the turns to get to Mam and Pap's house.  I think this is at Blue Rock Road.

Proof that he puts his feeet up on the back of my seat.  I know he does it, becuase I can feel it, but this is proof.


Some of the tile work in the mall downtown- it is also an office building, I used to work on the 6th floor.  The building was built when my grandfather was a little boy and is decorated in the art deco style.  The tiles and details are incrediable.



That was our day.  The time changes tonight- we Spring forward one hour.  Which means we actually loose an hour of sleep tonight- I hate this change.   We are heading out to the farm tomorrow afternoon to visit with Hermano and his parents.  It is going to be so much fun to see them and hang out with them.


Love and hugs,
Momma

No comments:

Post a Comment