Saturday, March 19, 2011

Grandpa Joe has died and we have a new family member

I received the call from my mom this morning, that Grandpa Joe died this morning.  I actually knew he was dead, as I was woken up at 4:45 am this morning by the sound of a door slamming in my house.  As as I checked the house and found nothing wrong, I just knew that he was gone.  I am sad that he is gone, but rejoicing that he is with my Grandma and that he is standing in the presence of God singing praises  to an awesome God.

Right now, the layout will be on Wednesday and the funeral will be Thursday, but things could be delayed as the coroner insisted on preforming an autopsy.  The funeral arrangements can not be finalized until the coroners offices releases Grandpa Joe's body.

When I was over visiting Grandpa Joe this week, I asked my aunt what was going to happen to m grandfather's fish "Obama" and if there was no previous request, we would love to take the fish for a pet.  Bug has been talking about it since.  But he also wants a goldfish.  So today, we headed out and got Bug a goldfish.






So, here is our newest member of the family "Hot rod" the goldfish.   Obama the beta fish will be coming sometime this week.  He will receive a new name once he arrives in this house.
Bug is very happy to have a pet- though he wants to use the net and fish Hot Rod out of the tank!!! 


Bug also asked when grandpa Joe will come back from being with Jesus.  How do you explain death to a 5 year old?  I know there is no simple answer, it is something we will work through over a long period of time. 

love and hugs,
Deb

2 comments:

  1. Sorry for your losss. We lost my husband's grandmother and our cat in the same week last summer. There is a great book I can't remember the title - something about dragonflies and waterbugs that explains death and heaven very well for kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry about your grandfather. We're going through the same stuff here with the loss of my mom.

    It is my opinion that kids benefit from going through the formal grieving process. Let Bug go to the visitation and see his Grandpa. Encourage his questions. Let him cry. Let him see you cry. My kids put notes/pictures to Grandma in the casket.

    God bless. I know it's tough.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete