Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The many lives a quilt

This is the latest quilt top to be worked on.  I have had the fabric for almost 2 years now (yikes).  it was originally supposed to be a duvet cover for mariposa (see below), but with her exit from the house, it sat as I tried to figure out exactly what to do.  I finally gave in an admitted that I loved the fabric as much as when I bought a bunch in 2006 and started working on a quilt for Nigua.  It needed to be bigger for my bed, so I bought some bright orange fabric for the outer border and put it together.  I can not get the flower or striped fabric any more, so I had to figure out what to do on the back.

I think I am going to quilt it in straight lines thru the flowers.  Originally I was going to quilt circles around the flowers, but then I realized I would probably rip the quilt to shreds in frustration.  So I I think I have it worked out and it should look awesome (if I do say so myself).

 and this is the back- a bright purple/red/orange/pink batik with a strip of the orange border from the front down the middle.  it really is pretty bright- but I like bright.  The back also allows me to use it in the spare bedroom if I ever need too since the purple on the front and back theme to the color on the walls in the spare bedroom.  Although I fully plan to repaint the spare bedroom in a year or 2 since purple just does not go with the rest of the house.

These are the 2 sides together.  I am going to bind the quilt with the stripped fabric from the front side inner border.  I think I can have it done by the end of this month.  Then next month I will finish up the 2 Chinese Zodiac quilts for El's girls.  I need their hand prints to complete the quilting.  That should take a week max.  so there is lots to do, but I am getting to the point of just having to do quilting, instead of piecing quilt tops together.

This is Mariposa, for those of you who remember the name, not the face.  A part of me feels bad about not sending the quilt to her, but her room in Germany is red, white and black, so it would never match.  I might make her a table topper at some point, but I am not worrying about it at this point.


In other news, Bug's fish died today- the fish got sick and I did not catch it in time.  I ran out at lunch today to get the fish some medicine (yes I did) and by 3 pm the fish was dead.  Bug wants a new fish.  I think we should stick with Blueberry (the Betta) for a while.  But I think Bug is going to get a new fish over the Easter Holiday.

The weather here is going to be bad tonight.  What is it about being a parent that makes you worry so much?  We have tornado watches tonight (so far) and the worst is due to come through at after 3 am.  I am thinking I am not going to be sleeping much tonight.

1 comment:

  1. I love that quilt! The colors match our guest room. In case you ever want to come visit...

    ReplyDelete