Saturday, April 09, 2011

Our first quilt show and other fun stuff today

Bug and I had a business day, but it started off good with a late start to morning. Both Bug and I needed the extra sleep.  so we slept in until 8 am this morning and then started our day. 

First on the agenda,  the Cincinnati Quilt show.  Since I am quilting again, I thought it would be fun to go and see everything.  Bug wanted to come along so he could see the colors.  the rules for posting pictures from the show is that I give full credit to the quilter/artist- so I can not show everything, but I can show you some of the highlights.

One of the first quilts we fell in love with is this one created using traditional fabrics from Guatemala.  The quilt is created from a picture of the flower market in one of the major cities- I know I am going to spell it wrong, so please see the picture below for all the info.  What I love about this quilt, is that this quilt showed me that I can quilt with traditional Guatemalan fabric.  So next trip to Guatemala, I am heading to the markets to get some traje and huipils to use in future quilts.

A close up of the quilt. 

The information on the quilt.  Meri Henriques Vahl did a great job on capturing the colors of Guatemala.

Bug liked this quilt. teal on black

This was one I like, the credit is to the right of the quilt.  It was a challenge quilt.  All the quilts in the challenge used the same colors.  It was incredible to see how differently the quilts looked.  the talent was incredible.

This quilt was stunning.  It is wedding ring quilt, made for the quilter's 30th anniversary.  In each ring is a picture of each year of the marriage.  Each photo was labeled with the date.  I loved this one.


This is the credit.  Harumi is just absolutely gifted.

The gang at the show

This quilt took our breath away.  The detailing around the edge is repeated on the back in teal thread. The checker board pattern around the edge is created by stippling.  It is unbelievable.

And it was from  Canada.


After the quilt show- we spent 2.5 hours looking at quilts, we had lunch at the show.  We ate with other quilters from Windsor Canada and Dayton OH.  It was a great day.

We went home to Mam and Pap's house, where I took a nap- or at least tried to.  I got about an hour of sleep.  Bug spent the time playing with Mam and then playing with Pap once Pap woke up.  We met up with hermano and his parents for dinner in the evening.  The story behind this is that Bug asked to go to Pizza Hut last night and when I told him he has never been to Pizza Hut, he reminded me that we ate dinner with Popi, Momi Mireya and the girls after seeing the zoo in Guatemala City.  He has an incredible memory.  He told me later, he liked the Pizza Hut in GC better because they let him hold the buzzer thing when you wait for a table.  There was no waiting today.  The other funny part, the family behind the boys just kept watching the boys and smiling.  They clearly were trying to figure out the family dynamics at the table, but were polite and never asked us any question, they just kept smiling at us.

the boys had a good time hanging out together for dinner.  We plan to see each other on Mother's day, but it looks like we will see them next weekend after I forgot to give Vaca momma the clothes Bug has outgrown.  Hermano has grown a bunch this winter and he will get good use of Bug's old clothes.  Bug has also grown a bunch recently, so I will updating with Bug's new stats this week.

Well, I am tired and we have busy day tomorrow too.

Love and hugs,
Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment