Thursday, March 19, 2009

another trip to the hopsital- nothing serious

No pictures- I forgot my camera and I probably would have not had the thoughts to ask Mam or Pap to take pictures.

Bug had to have blood drawn today for some medical testing. The International Adoption Clinic at our children's hospital is doing research on Chagas Disease. They need 500 children adopted from Guatemala to participate in the study. It involves one blood draw of about a tablespoon of blood.
I have been preparing Bug for about a week now- I gave blood last week so he could see my boo-boo. I picked him at 12;30 from Auntie Lulu's house. We had lunch with Mam and Pap and then headed down to the hospital. I had already decided that this blood draw was going to be different then the last few.
1. I was going to request the topical (on the skin) numbing agent- so the stick of the needle would not hurt.
2. I was not going to lay him down on the table and then lay across him (this is position that most of his blood work has been taken in).

So we got there and I talked to the research coordinator- she indicated that the numbing agent takes 30 minutes to work but that she had a spray solution that could work. So I agreed to try that.
She also indicated that she never lays a child down and asks the parent to hold them down by laying across them (NOTE: the northern office in our area does!!!).

She told Bug everything she was doing, showed him everything. He was not happy. BUT, he sat on my lap, not moving and cried while they took the blood. He is a brave little boy and I told him so, Mam and Pap told him so and the research coordinator told him so.

I should have the results sometime in May (done in batches by the CDC).

I choose to have Bug participate in this study because this disease can be easily treated, but the children are not screened for it when they first come home. The disease can cause neurological or cardiac issues as Bug ages - so best to know now and treat now.

If you are close to our area and would like to participate in the study, contact me privately and I will give you the telephone number to call at the hospital.

Bug and I went out to dinner tonight and he got a great dessert- cheesecake!!!! He loves it. I asked him if he wanted cheesecake for his birthday and he said YES. This was after he told me that he wants a cake with a train and a pickup truck on it for his birthday. Mam seems to think that you can not top a cheesecake with a train and pick up truck- but I am certain I can do it. A cheesecake does mean that there will be no birthday party in the park though. We will have to think on this one. Perhaps we could have an ice skating birthday party?????? We would all be nice and cool.

Vacation plans are coming along- I have to book the plane tickets tonight and then we are all set. I told Bug that once Jason's birthday comes, then we can start counting days to vacation. he is starting to get excited, just because I can not stop talking about it. of course, I am trying to work out details with Mam and Pap.

Love to you,
Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment