Sunday, March 22, 2009

Happy 88th Birthday Grandpa Joe

Grandpa Joe turned 88 this month. His birthday celebration was today. Originally Bug and I had planned to be in Michigan, but my stress level went up on Friday and rather than add to my stress by driving up and back this weekend, we stayed home. When Grandpa Joe saw us at his birthday, he looked so happy- that helped me know I made the right choice.

The entire family was not present but there was a full house. Grandpa had lots of great grand kids to help him blow out candles. The Birthday Boy himself.

The yummy cake.


Bug liked the outside table. he played out here while I sat with a cousin and 2 of my aunts talking. Bug had one of the younger cousins (read his age) come over and play with him, but not for long.

Uncle Jack brought his moto- but Bug was not going on it no matter how hard we tried to encourage him. I even sat on the moto, but Bug was not getting on it even with me.



B, one of the middle cousins, was kind enough to help Bug play Wii. Bug was not very good at it- although he is only 3.5 years old. When some more middle cousins arrived, that ended Bug's time on the Wii games.












This is Bug's sad face after the other cousins arrive and he was kicked out of the game. I brought cars for Bug, but he was not happy with them until we went outside.






















It was an interesting day with my 2 aunts. Both of them made adoption plans for their first child 30 odd years ago. Both of them have been reunited with their children in the last few years. They asked me about taking Bug back to Guatemala and then my one aunt asked about Bug's birth mother, so I told her about the search and the reasons why we will always go back to Guatemala. She then shared the pain that her son had gone through- never knowing that an adoption plan had been made for him, finding out as a teenager and how the secret kept from him devastated him. She told me that I was doing the right thing with Bug, being open, searching now and keeping his first family in his life. Her encouragement means so much to me. Actually all my aunts who made adoptions plans have been so supportive and I realize that I have never gone to them as resource, but the stories they have shared over the years have been a guide to me as I have walked down the adoption path.
I am so grateful to have these strong women (and men) in my life and in Bug's life.
Love and hugs,
Deb






No comments:

Post a Comment