Monday, August 17, 2009

Enrolling in school

I took Mariposa to register for school today.

After reading through the instructions 2 times, I still got things wrong.

1. We were only enrolling her, not picking classes. So, now we wait for the guidance counselor to call and then we can make an appointment to go and register her for specific classes.
2. We took every paper imaginable- all "needed" according to the documents I filled out- we needed her passport, my drivers license and the packet of forms I completed before she arrived- that was it. I have a feeling we need her transcripts when we see the guidance counselor later this week.

I did take her up to the school and walk through the school- the blessings of ongoing renovations at the school and unlocked front doors.

It really has not changed since I was there- just the names on the doors to each class room.

we were blessed to have R with us. R used to babysit for Bug and she also quilts with the group I am in. I asked if she would go and help us pick classes (which did not happened), then I took the girls to starbucks for a treat (Mariposa and R like frappicinos). We did get the course book listing all the classes, so R took us through them and I think we have a plan now for some classes that Mariposa wants to take.

Bug was not happy today- he could not understand why Mariposa got to stay home and he did not. He was quite put out by her staying home to sleep this morning while he had to get up and go to Aunt Lulu's. But, I think the fact that Mariposa and I got done at school faster then I expected and that we picked him up to go swimming made up for it. We swam for about an hour and then went to the park to play for another 45 minutes.

Mariposa enjoyed her first dinner in the house with us- Chicken, broccoli cheese rice, tomatoes and a bite of black beans and rice (this is from my newest recipe on how to make black beans- it is still not quite right). She and Bug liked everything except the black beans and rice. I thought the black beans and rice tasted fine with the chicken added, but it tasted not good when eaten alone. So I will try again to get the black bean recipe right. I will say, the pressure cooker was the key for getting the beans soft- so I have figured that out (thanks Miryea).

Tomorrow Mariposa is of to a day with with our AFS liaison. Then perhaps youth group in the evening.

Should be another busy day.

Love and hugs,

Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment