Thursday, August 06, 2009

School choices

I guess with Mairposa arriving in 8 more days, I am thinking more and more about schooling choices for Bug. He will not start until next fall (2010) but I have to start the process to get him enrolled in February and there are choices to be made.

So I am going to throw them out here with some pros and cons and ask for feedback- but I know in the end, I will make the decision - I just want to see what everyone thinks.

Choice 1: Kindergarten in our school district
Pros:
1. I can walk him to school- we are a block from the school
2. I could walk him home
3. no extra fees/tuition/etc
Cons:
1. he would be in the building with the district office. I think they don't like me there (and yes, they know me on sight and yes, they target the kids of parents they don't like)
2. There is no all day kindergarten
3. there is no Spanish language classes in the elementary schools in my district.

Choice 2: local catholic school
Pros:
1. It is close, I would have to drive Bug to and from school
2. They have all day kindergarten
3. I know teachers there and they have a good reputation as a school
Cons:
1. I would have to pay tuition- out of parish, non catholic- but it is less then daycare
2. Bug would be getting catholic religion classes. I grew up catholic- I disagree with some things on a very fundamental level.
3. there is no Spanish language class for the elementary students

Choice 3: Big city magnet school
Pros:
1. he would be in Spanish immersion - total Spanish, all day
2. he would be in Spanish immersion all day
3. he would be in Spanish immersion all day
Cons:
1. I would have to drive him to and from school since we are out of the district
2. I would have to try and get him into the school- there is no guarantee there would be any openings once the in district kids apply to the school.
3. I would have to pay tuition
4. I have no idea if they have all day kindergarten
5. I need to find out more on the rest of the academic standing for the school- the Spanish language program is one of the best in the country though.

Choice 4: home schooling
reality check: not really an option given that I work form home at least 8 hours a day. That means Bug and I would do school in the evenings and that is just not happening at this point in my opinion. Although, I do think it would be cool to do this when Bug is older and can be given topics/tasks to work on during my work hours- maybe it could be more of summer camp idea for me to consider.

So those are my options. I really like option 3- Spanish Immersion is something I want for Bug. I can give him the language background in Spanish that he will need in the future and since my degree is in linguistics, I know that the US system of starting a second language in middle school/high school is actually the worst option. So I am not willing to let him go years before he starts formal language classes.
I also don't like the idea of weekend Spanish classes- I think it is not enough time - but maybe I am wrong there.

The only thing I worry with in option 3 is that I will not be able to apply until February for an open spot and there might not be an open spot for him at that time. In district families can apply in November of this year- so I am thinking that there is little to no chance that there will be openings as parents camp out the night before the applications can be turned in- just to get the applications in first.

This is one of the times I really am praying that God smacks me upside the head and points out the choice I am suppose to make for Bug.


that's it for tonight. Love and hugs,
Deb

3 comments:

  1. Are you sure your districts (public and catholic) don't do any spanish or world languages? In our state, they have now started in lower elementary school as the World Languages requirement. In Kindergarten it would probably be basic vocabulary words, but at least it would be a start.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy- I have checked the classes and talked to the teachers at options 1 and 2- there is nothing until 7th grade for option 1 and there is nothing at option 2- they only go through 8th grade.

    Unfortunately around me, most schools are still in the old school model. Now- if I lived on the other side of town, there would be different choices as they are more up-to-date on language teaching techniques.

    Love to you,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have struggled with this one for a long time. Levi is timid and really works himself up over new situations. Last year he was eligible for kindergarten but we chose to hold him back and place him into a transitional kindergarten program at the little private school near us. That was the best choice for him. But this year...ugh. I want him to do kindergarten at the private school, but my hubby thinks we should send him to the public school. His thinking is that he will have to go to a bigger school eventually anyway and it would be better to send him with all the other first-time kiddos. That makes sense, but it still worries me.. We are doing everything we can to prepare him and he seems to be ok with going to the big school. At least so far.

    ReplyDelete