Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Libraries need warning labels

I will get to the story about the blog title in a few pictures- but first


Wagon wheel (pasta) with fresh from the garden tomatoes and zucchini- YUMMY.
Bug even made an attempt to eat it. I never told him it was pasta, so he played with it and he eat a few pieces. YEAH. Now all I need is different shaped pasta and we might get back to our usual summer dinners after all.

Wendy- this is for you- Bug playing video games at McDonald's. he could not get the character to walk around- it kept going in circles and he was getting frustrated at the game. I was getting frustrated from telling him what to do and having him not do it. This is why videos games are not coming into this house for a long time- Bug wants someone to do it for him or figure it out and then he ignores what he told (maybe it is a 3 year old thing).



Mariposa- this is what the duvet cover would look like in your room. I meant to post this to you yesterday but I could not get the pictures off the camera. what do you think?


Bug is official a Super reader at our local library. At his age- that means he listens to Momma reading to him. Tomorrow is the last day for the summer reading program. We have tallied 35 books through today, although we have 20 more that we got today. I think I missed some because we have been getting about 15 books per week for a month- but I forgot to mark them down. I am going to get the 10 books marked down and return the card tomorrow. Bug is now in the drawing for the grand prize of a bicycle!!!! Bug was actually more excited about the sign we got to bring home today.






But he was not into a "good" picture of him. Instead he being way silly.




i have decided that libraries need warning labels "reading books to your child may result in tears". I picked up a book for Bug on "fireboats"- boats that fight fires. Who knew the book was about 9-11!!! I was bawling- and you don't find out until 5 pages before the end. Bug just looked at me like I was nuts. I had to skip parts of the wording as I felt it was inappropriate for his age.
then we read a book about the depression and a town that bought a woman's farm for a penny so she would not loose her farm to the bank- I was crying again.
Then we read a book about a momma who does not know how to read so she can't read to her son (but she learns in the end).
Thankfully we ended with a book on sunflowers (the Sunflower house)
yes, I know that the bocks have blurbs - but I have about 15 minutes max to pick books for Bug before he either decides that he is done at the library or before he starts an incident at the toddler toy center in the reading room- like he tried today. Nothing like pushing another child off a chair because he had been sitting there, then the other child moved to the chair after Bug got up and was looking at books at the table next me. Nearly caused a fight in a young reader room. So I don't have time to rad every book jacket for the blurbs- I glance through the book quickly- flipping about 3 pages in each book.
I need warning labels because I don't think Bug is going to go for more books that make his momma cry.
Love and hugs,
Deb





2 comments:

  1. How cool if he could win the bike!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sign is so cool! You should be very proud of yourself (Momma, not Bug) :)

    Did I tell you about when I was reading a book to my French class years ago that had great examples of the future tense (that we were studying)? I had to stop and have a student read the last two pages, I was crying too much to be effective. The book - Love you forever. And yes, I did know the ending before I read it.

    ReplyDelete