Saturday, July 11, 2009

nothing exciting today

I tried to sleep late this morning- migraine. I think I have a migraine every day this week and it is making me sick to my stomach now. This is the longest I have every had a migraine- usually meds get rid of it it in 4-5 hours and I am fine. But I think there is more going on. So when I get back from my business trip this week, I am going to ask for a referral from my doctor.

I cut grass this morning- never a great thing to do with a migraine- but hey, as a single parent- there is no one else to do it.
Then Bug and I headed to the Y for some swim time. Bug has been begging all week to go swimming. I was hoping I would feel better before I took him, but it was not the case. He had a great time, played for an hour. As I watched him, I kept seeing him 2 years ago- scared, timid, terrified of the water (he was not happy the first few times we went swimming). Today he was happily playing in the water- pretending to be a diver. He was bringing me his fishes (toys we took) and standing under the "shower" features. It was like 180 degrees difference from how he was 2 years ago. it is amazing how far he has come and I often forget that he has come so far in just a short time.

We ran some errands- migraine building and increasing the pain in my head. We headed to Mam and Pap's for some play time- we have not seen them all week. the rain came while we were there and my head felt like it was going to explode.

We played and hung out thru dinner. It was a good day- nothing exciting.


Tomorrow we are helping with a fiesta in an area of our city with many immigrants from Guatemala. Our church sponsors this- we will helping with games and actives for the kids, handing out food bags, enjoying the music and the fellowship. I am looking forward to this as this kicks off our church plant in the Guatemalan community. I have signed up to be part of the church plant- my Spanish is not good, but I can serve the people. The hope is to have the church started by December. I am excited that Bug will be able to worship with people who share his heritage. I will be the minority-- he will be in the majority.

I recognize that I don't see the issues that he will face as he gets older because I am always in the majority- by deliberately putting myself in the minority, I will be able to give Bug the opportunity to be in his heritage and to be the same as everyone else he sees. And the time is coming when he will realize that he is not the same and that lack of sameness will be critical in the eyes of others.

Oh well, it was not my intent to to get so deep tonight. I know that I am ruminating on things again as Bug's birthday approaches. 4 more weeks to go. I have to start writing the letter to his birth mother and pick out the pictures to send to her- hoping that she makes contact with the searcher this year.
I have to get a box out to Popi, Mireya and the girls soon too.

Love to you,
Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment