Wednesday, January 20, 2010

I got nothing for you tonight

Just ranting and venting some.

Some days, it is just not worth it to work at home.  I hear you all laughing at me- stop now.  What I mean is that while I love working at home- there is a a little issue of seperation- work is always here- the computers (home and work) always connec to the work servers.

For eexample, it is pretty intense at work right now, I have a deadline on 05Feb.  I need to run reports tonight and each night until 04Feb. But, I have a choice, I can sit at my work computer and run reports for 2 hours and then work another 2 hours collating the data into a spreadsheet or I can sit on the couch and run the reports on my home computer.

option 1 means I sitting at my desk for anotehr 4 hours a day- my back to the house.  Option 2 allows me to watch some TV while the reports run, maybe fold laundry (I said maybe).  I choose option2 becucase at least then I feel like I have a physical break from work.  Unfortunately, the reports take 1 hour to run each and then they fail.  So I will have to sit at my desk each night.

If I worked in an office, no one would expect me to come back into work after my son goes to sleep- it would be accepted that I would run the reports in the morning.  Working at home, there is an unspoken expectation that I run reports in the evening and get the work done.

So for the next 2 weeks, instead of semi relaxing on the couch in the evenings, I will be focused on the computer on my desk, working to get reports run in the evening so that the spreadsheet can go out to the team in time for European team members to see it in the morning their time.

All I know at this point is that I see at least one personal day coming in Feb where hijo and I go away from the house (for the weekend) and I leave the computer behind.  Now to figure out where to go that does not cost me an arm and leg- cause Guatemala sounds perfect (althoughnot affordable at this point- dang airfare).

Off o read emails and relax.  As hijo says - hasta pasta!!!!

Momma

No comments:

Post a Comment