Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Update on Hoarding- an emotional thing

To answer some comments-

My hoarding is not based in preparing for a riany day or a stormy day- in fact it is quite the opposite.  If I just had my needs plus a little more, then I might say I was being prepared.  but mine is diffierent.  It is an emotional need to look in a cabinet and see food and then choosing not to eat it, forcing me to throw it away at a later date.

The food I found Sunday night had been in my cabinet for over a year in some cases- I had condiments in my fridge that I bought 5 years ago- never opened.

This is a need to say that I can provide for myself, that I will not go hungry, that I will never be at the point I was at a a child. 

it is not healthy- it is not being a good steward of my resources, it is not teaching hijo to be prepared or to live with what he has.  It is a emotional, scared child response.  I need to break it.

So by reorganizing, I can recognize it for what it is and I can deal with it.  I have a weekly menu for us, I have rewards for eating at home all in the hopes that doing this through the work week will help me to use the food I have stored and will teach me to not be wasteful.

On the plus side, I save money by using what I have, I save money by not eating out and I and Hijo eat healthier.

I am a work in progress, so this is a good thing for me.

And to be clear- I am not one of the folks that runs to the store before a winter storm or other weather related events. 

Love and hugs,
Deb

2 comments:

  1. Deb,

    Good for you for facing your fears head on. You can do it.

    Thanks for being so honest.

    Love,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. i understand your feeling Deb and maybe for different reasons I have the same problem i buy food and than it will just go to waste ... i eat out - leaving alone i have no presure to come home at a specific time - or simply choose the quick option and not the healthy one. Cheese and ham and cakes do not go in the bin LOL but veg and fruit and canned stuff yes so i have decided i will open all my cupboards clean it all and enter all my food in a database with expiry dates and or expected shelf lifes ... then will sit down and organize my menu. Now that i go to work later is better as i can actually have a nice breakfast before leaving the house saving money and calories
    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete