Tuesday, January 26, 2010

What does racism look like?

In our family it looks like the face of a 22 year old.  A 22 year old who was my niece, who told my sister that the reason she will not come around and the reason she does not want me at her birthday is becuase of my son- my 4 year old.  her words 'Tiffany's family do not believe in mixing races'. 

now to clarify- Tiffany is my neice's girlfriend.  Anyone see the irony of a lesbian neice stating that race is the reason for not accepting us.  I think it is the most ignorant comment I have ever heard.  But, that is me.  It urt like hell (yes, I said that), to have hijo tell me "Momma, Toffany hates me".  I feel sick to my stomach, close to tears all night for realization that hijo is 4 and facing racism. 

I know I can not protect him and he will face it, but from within the family, from some one who threw me a baby shower, who helped to care for him for almost a year- that I was not expecting.

But on the positive side, it started a dialogue and I can build a foundation so hijo knows how to handle situations like this  in the future. 

That's all for tonight- I think there has been enough drama for me and hijo for a while.

Love and hugs,
Momma

4 comments:

  1. So sorry that you are faced with this. And amazing that someone can just change their views based on what a partner thinks. Prayers for you and hijo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does seem very ironic. I think if I were you, I would have said something like, "we aren't prejudice about your lifestyle, why are you about race?"
    Did your sister mean to hurt you when she told you what your neice said? Has she taken up for you? I am curious how this all came about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Deb...That's awful...I think it's best if they don't come around either.

    Just keep filling up Hijo with your love and his value, both in your eyes and God's. Let him know that she is mistaken and pray for her.

    Love,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. that the comment came from a relative is even more difficult to accept. and yes it is quite ironic considering not so long ago your niece lifestyle encounter prejudice as well. And I can tell you she and her gilfriend will still not be accepted from where i came from ... i am wondering if she even realized the heartache she caused
    love and hugs
    cecilia

    ReplyDelete